Chasing

I sat outside with Haruki and ate my lunch. We talked about nonsense and I happened to look up as a lanky boy with light blue hair walked by. I gawked and turned to Haruki. "That is the person I'm going to marry." I said and pointed to him. Haruki peered at him and smiled softly. "He's cute, I didn't know that was your type." I punched his side and stood up. "I'm going to ask him out." I said and hurried to find him. I pushed the door open and walked through the lobby.

I saw him standing infront of a locker and walked up to him. "Hey." I smiled and he looked over. "Hi." He said in a quiet voice, but I still heard the cutest accent I've ever heard. "Are you new? I can show you around if you'd like." I offered and looked in his eyes. He shut his locker gently and shook his head. "I'm fine...thank you." He smiled softly and ducked his head.

I paused and stumbled to the side. "What's your name?" He looked up at fixed his bag on his shoulder. "Langa." I smiled and leaned against the lockers. "That's a pretty name, where are you from? I couldn't help but notice your accent." He cleared his throat and took a step back. "Canada. I moved here a few weeks ago."

I crossed my arms and glanced down at his lips. "Canada? Maybe we could hang out some time, we could get some food or see a movie." He played with the sleeves of his shirt and someone bumped onto him. He moved out of the way and I watched him carefully. "A date?" I elaborated and he tensed up. "Oh- uh...I don't really date anyo- boys." He corrected himself and I looked back down at his lips.

"Well I think you're cute, can I have your number?" He scratched his neck and shook his head. "Sorry, I should get to class." He walked past me and Haruki walked up behind me. "Can I hit on him now?" He asked and I pushed him back, sharing at langa. "No, I'll win him over."

I waited at his locker the next morning, biting my nails to distract myself. He walked up and put his phone in his pocket. "Good morning Langa." I said and he nodded politely, opening his locker. "What class do you have first period?" I asked and put my hands in my pockets. "Math." He said quietly and closed his locker, walking away.

I hurried after him and grabbed his wrist. "Langa, wanna hang out after school? I'm watching my sisters today so we can just chill at my house." He shook his head and I looked down at my grip on his wrist. "Did I misread something? Are you not into me?" I asked and let go of him. He shook his head and fixed his bag.

"I told you, I don't want to date right now." He said frankly and I sighed. "Why? You're so cute, I want to take you out on a date." He looked down at my hands. "I just got out of a relationship, I'm not ready yet and I don't even know you're name. What if you're just messing with me? I'm sure you'd love to call me gay slurs all year once you find out I'm a raging homosexual."

I searched his face and let out a small laugh. "I'm bi." I said under my breath and he watched me carefully. "I have to get to class." He backed up and disappeared around the corner.

The next day I waited by the gate and saw him walking out, looking at his phone. I stopped him and he looked at me. "What?" He asked and I smiled. "How about that date? I'll pay." I offered and he looked at me with a deadpan face. "What's your name?" I smiled cheekily and looked in his eyes. "I'll tell you when you give me an answer." He stared at me and gave me a defiant no before waiting.

"Reki. My names reki." I said and he scanned my face. "I don't want to date you." He said and I gasped. "Langa, but before you said you don't want to date at all, am I really that ugly?" He glanced around and shrugged. "Youre just not my type. And I hardly know you, it's kind of weird." I put my hands behind my back and smiled at him.

"Well Langa, maybe you should give me a chance, just a small date and if you hate it that much then we never have to speak to each other again, but I think you're very cute and I'd love to treat you to lunch." He paused and pressed his lips together. "Never again?" I nodded. "I won't even bother to look at you." He smiled softly, a real genuine smile which felt good for a change. "Does 3 work for you? This Saturday?" He nodded softly and I smiled.

"Great, that's awesome, uh I'll meet you..." I trailed off and glanced down the street. "See that little restaurant down the street?" He nodded and I grabbed his hand very loosely. "I'll meet you outside, just make yourself look cute and I won't make you pay." I winked and his lips curled up at the corners. "Yeah, okay." He pulled his hand away and started down the sidewalk home.

I stood outside the restaurant and saw Langa walk up. I smiled and waved at him, "Hey, how was your morning?" He just looked at me and shrugged. I looked in his eyes and grabbed his hands. "Hey, you have to actually be here. Don't just think you can get a free meal and never talk to me again. I expect a goodbye kiss after this." I joked about the last part and he searched my face.

"Ok." He said and started inside. We sat down and he quietly looked around. "Is your Japanese not as good as I thought or do you just not want to talk to me?" He looked at me and chewed at his lips. "A bit of both." He said quietly and I smiled softly. "So why'd you move here?" He cleared his throat and glanced out the window. "My mom got a job here...and she- Ugh we needed to be near family." He rubbed his neck and I put my head in my hand.

"Well that seems like a total lie, you liked it better in Canada, no?" "Huh?" He asked and took a moment. "Oh, well no, I like it here. It's just different is all." I nodded and looked in his eyes. "I know you're names Langa and that you moved here from Canada, what else are you hiding from me?" He stifled a short, small laugh and I glanced down at his lips. "I...live with my mom, and I used to smowboard, and I..." he trailed off, thinking and I watched him with a soft smile.

"Snowboarding? That's cool. I skateboard." He nodded slightly and took a sip of his drink. "So do you like me yet?" I asked and he glanced up, before shaking his head. "I told you I'm not ready to date." He said and held his cup.

I glanced between his eyes and lips and relaxed. "Then why'd you come here today?" He shrugged and played with his straw. "I want to...get to know you." He sounded unsure and I smiled at him. "Really? Because you sounded entertained by the fact that I'd never talk to you again if you didn't have fun."

He smiled softly and looked in my eyes. "If you really weren't ready to date you would've rejected me on the spot, so why didn't you?" He froze and gave a soft chuckle. "Fine, maybe I'm flirting with the idea of dating again, maybe it's with you, maybe I'm just bored." I smiled, happy with my progress and sat back in my seat.

We walked out of the restaurant after talking for hours and he yawned into his sleeve. "I have to get home." He said and I smiled at him. "Okay, did you enjoy it?" I asked and put my hands in my pockets. "It was...adequate." I rolled my eyes and elbowed his side. "Seriously, I had a good time, did you?" He stuttered and let out a breath.

"Yeah I had fun." I smiled and moved closer to him. "Does that mean I get my goodbye kiss?" He got all shy and chewed at his lip. "More like a see you later kiss." He leaned over and pecked my cheek. "Bye reki." He smiled and walked off.