Seven

I was at the school library during my lunch break, eyes skimming over the backs of book titles, when I got a text from my dad.

Baba❤️: Your mama and I are going out tonight

Inaya: Okay, can I order out then

Baba❤️: Ya.

We'll invite your Aunt Naomi over. You two can watch something on the TV or play video games together.

Inaya: Liked a message.

I reached forward and pulled a book from the shelf by its spine. My eyes scanned the blurb and then traveled down to the author's name. I put the book back. I finally found something that interested me—a retelling of the Greek myths of Medusa, Hades, and Achilles set in a fantasy Bengal—and I hugged all three. The books felt like treasure—the kind of treasure that makes your eyes water at the thought of finally finding something your body yearned for.

The librarian looked up from her computer and smiled when she saw me with a stack of books in my hands. After getting the books checked out, I sat on one of the tables and cracked open the first one. Aiming for the spot of valedictorian meant most of my reading was nonfiction. But not today. Today, I wanted to be in Bangladesh, even if it was fictional.

I was so engrossed in the story that I was only vaguely aware of the movement of people around me. At last, the bell rang, signaling that this period was over. I turned in my seat to retrieve a bookmark from my bag when I let out a little gasp.

Valentino was on his laptop next to me.

"Hey," he said casually, glancing at the astonished look on my face. I was too flustered to notice he was holding back a laugh.

"I had no idea you were right there," I breathed, trying not to overthink whether Valentino's choice to sit with me meant something or if he was expecting me to say something because he did.

"Yeah, I know." Valentino paused. "Must be one hell of a book."

I grasped the edge of my seat. The words to tell him that I wanted to tell him about my desperation to know my Bengali side wouldn't escape my throat.

"The book's good, yeah," was what came out of my mouth. My brain retreated to safety, back to thinking about school, and I began putting my things away. "We should also get going to class! The late bell will ring soon." I looked at the CrusadEon Online tab on his screen and briefly wondered if now was a good time to tell him about Tireya. "You have precalculus now, right?" I asked instead, pushing myself off my chair. The feet of the furniture grated on the floor below, and I winced at the sound.

"Yeah...I'll be there once I finish up this quest."

"Okay. See ya later!"

Valentino smiled at me, and I turned away with a blush. I honestly wished I'd put down the book sooner so we could've spent the half-hour getting to know each other like we did the other day. But whatever! Valentino spent his lunch period with me. And there was nobody this time to stare and remind me how difficult it was to put my feelings on pause when what I wanted wasn't exactly religious of me.

Aunt Naomi arrived at the house later that afternoon. I hugged my parents goodbye and watched them drive out of the garage. In the living room, Aunt Naomi was unpacking her two duffel bags and slapping piles of papers onto the coffee table. I loved all of the noise.

"One day, I'll be rich enough to make getaways like that," she said.

"Being a professor that bad on the bank?"

"Sadly," Aunt Naomi said with a sigh.

"Is your fiancé okay with you spending the night here?"

Aunt Naomi smiled a little. "He's out of town."