Chapter 119 Family

The atmosphere became awkward to the point where Lan Zhan had enough and grabbed Wei Ying's hand. They bowed quickly and left, leaving Uncle Qiren staring disapprovingly at them as they exited.

Both subdued, they wandered unconsciously to where the rabbits were. They sat down among the excited fluff balls, pink noses twitching with happiness that both familiar bodies were back after such a long absence.

Lan Zhan put a white one in Wei Ying's lap, and he stroked it absentmindedly.

There was a shout, and Jin Ling came running towards them, dragging an equally enthusiastic SiZhui towards them. Wei Ying noted he was carrying the daily basket of carrots for SiZhui, and he smiled fondly, standing up.

The moment they finished bowing, Wei Ying hauled both of them into his arms.

"I missed you so much!"

"We missed you too." SiZhui hugged him back and then turned to his other father. "Father." He bowed again.

To his and the other's surprise, Lan Zhan brought him into his arms, kissing the top of his head, misty eyed.

Wei Ying blinked back tears himself.

"So how's the wedding planning going? And what do you think about your new cousin?"

And just like that, the heavy atmosphere changed into something more light-hearted and warm. They sat down again, the boys chattering away. Wei Ying caught Lan Zhan's eyes and beamed at him with approval. Change took time, but it was okay to show their children how much they meant to them.

They never doubted it from Wei Ying, who thrived on touch, whether he rested on a shoulder, or held a hand even in jest, but this was far more difficult for Lan Zhan to do. While SiZhui was a child, it had been easier, but the time spent away from Wei Ying had made him reticent in showing his love, especially as Cloud Recesses had rules for everything.

In his mind, Lan Zhan vowed to do better. A chirpy voice joined him in there, light with happiness.

I'm so proud of you, Lan Zhan. It was a big step for you, I know.

Mn. I can do it because of Wei Ying.

Outwardly, Wei Ying blushed, pleasantly surprised.

"So we thought, next month. Will that be okay?" Jin Ling was saying.

"Next month?" Wei Ying hurried to catch upmwith whatever they had been discussing.

"The wedding. Our wedding." SiZhui supplied, also blushing.

There was another shout, a higher pitch this time and that was the only warning Wei Ying had, before another warm bundle threw herself into his arms.

Li XiWang kissed his cheek and beamed at him and then did the same to Lan Zhan, but she decided to stay there.

The rabbits scampered away, sensing two also white predators, but Li XiWang caught both blue eyed animals. One at a time, she made full eye contact with them and waggled a single finger at them, only releasing Xiao Mao and DaErduo after they nodded.

"What did you tell them?" Wei Ying asked, smiling at his thoughtful daughter, having already formed an idea in his head about it.

"I told them the rabbits are sacred and not to be eaten. I made them promise." She declared, adamantly.

Wei Ying hid a grin, looking at the pinkish tinge on Lan Zhan's ears. He was so cute!

Lan Zhan kissed the top of her head too, and she smiled up at him, full of love.

Hui Gai. Wei Ying thought, and he appeared.

To everyone's surprise, the rabbits flocked to him and he picked one up, when he received a nod from Lan Zhan, smiling with all his pointy teeth.

"They came to me," he breathed out, happily.

"They can sense friend or foe." Lan Zhan told him.

If Hui Gai could have blushed...

The morning sped by, and eventually everyone went their separate ways with different obligations. Wei Ying and Lan Zhan meandered back to the Jingshi hand in hand, but before they could reach, the door of the Hanshi opened.

"Would you like to meet Li Li now? She's awake." Jiang Cheng told them, cheerfully.

"Fatherhood suits you." Wei Ying told him, receiving a light shove in return. He grinned back.

"Let me take her." Wei Ying cooed at the little girl, who stared warily at him, her bright brown eyes big and round.

He booped her nose, and got a gurgle, so he did it again and she chortled, a wide toothless smile and suddenly they were friends.

"Look, Lan Zhan, isn't she beautiful? Yes, you are!" Wei Ying continued to baby talk at her and she reciprocated by waving her chubby arms and legs around, producing happy sounds.

He looked up to find both men staring at him, one with envy, and the other with an impossibly soft look in his eyes. That's the one he went to.

"Would you like to meet your niece, Lan Zhan?" Wei Ying asked him, gently. "Come, sit here and I'll give her to you."

He made him sit down, and before Lan Zhan knew what was happening, the softest bundle of rosy cheeks and gurgling laughter was placed in his lap.

She stopped smiling and stared at him, too serious for a baby, but then, her hand grabbed his finger. Just that small act of trust, floored him. Lan Zhan could not look away even if he wanted to, this captivating child holding all of his attention.

Wei Ying had to stop his own joyful tears from spilling over for the second time that day, even as his arm stole around Jiang Cheng's waist.

"You have a beautiful, lovely daughter." He whispered.

Jiang Cheng wiped a tear, too choked up to speak, so he just nodded.

XiChen came in through the open door and saw Lan Zhan first. Wei Ying wrapped his other arm around his waist too, and together, they watched the magic happening between two souls in front of them.

*******

A/N

Dear Readers,

I feel I must apologise for yesterday's update. Quite a few of you were disappointed in me and what I wrote, and I'm truly sorry that you felt that way.

However, I'm really happy that you can tell me honestly how you feel, and will continue to do so.

I confess, I was discouraged to write today, but I wanted you to know, that I know you love these characters as much as I do.

Everything is part of the story, and the upcoming book, but I would like to ask for your trust that, as I also do not like to see them suffer, I will really try to limit that, or do my best to believably reduce that.

Thank you for sticking with me.

Have a piece of chocolate and let's put this behind us.

Sincerely,

Charlie