1

. . .

The resounding groan of the closing palace gates concluded in a deep thud. Commoners are never allowed into the palace, except for today. Though it looks like I won't be getting in. I'd come to the palace with my invitation in hand.

I, like all the other women in the kingdom, was invited to the selection process for the future princess elect. Such as been Wysterian tradition for as long as anyone can remember. The princess elect will both rule the kingdom and choose the future prince consort of Wysteria. 

It's almost like a fairytale. Not that it matters. I didn't come here hoping to become the princess anyways. I'm just a simple home tutor. I can't even imagine what life as a princess would be like.

My reason for coming to the palace was much simpler. 

Well, I've made it this far. It would be a waste to turn back now. There must be some way to get in.

A streak of motion caught my eye as I scanned the palace walls for an entrance.

Ew, was that a rat?

As I watched the rodent dart up the vines, it dawned on me.

Scale the wall by vine? No, there's no way it'll hold. But - for this short a climb, it might just work.

With my eyes fixed on the goal above, I tightened my grasp around a vine, and then-