【05】

"No, for the last time, we can't do that."

Ilaya leaned back against her chair as she looked at her staff that sat around the table. "Masyadong mahirap," Ilaya sighed, "it's going to be hard to pull off even for the production staff."

"But Ms. Ilaya," One of the staff members stood up from her chair, "the risk is going to be worth it!"

"Worth it how? Remember that we'll be liable for all of our models who have to go through what you want to do," Ilaya stated sternly.

"Ilaya, imagine the feedback if we manage to pull it off," Mabaya interjected as Ilaya looked at her older sister. "I know that there are risks, Ilaya but just imagine the traction that we'll get for the company." She added as Ilaya just sighed.

"I want another presentation about this plan tomorrow," Ilaya sighed, "I want a foolproof blueprint of how we can pull this off without risking any of the models."

The staff member from earlier nodded before heading out of the conference room.

"If there is nothing else, this meeting is adjourned," Ilaya announced as the other staff members stood up from their chairs and made their way out of the office - saying their farewells to Ilaya as they emptied the room.

"Haliya, maiwan ka" Ilaya looked at her younger sister who was just about to step out of the room. With an audible sigh, Haliya walked back into the office and crossed her arms.

"Yes, ate?"

"Ano nanaman ang ginawa mo at kaninang umaga pa ako tinetext ni Crispin at Basilio?" Ilaya inquired as she held out her phone to show multiple text messages from the two Trese associates. Haliya, on the other hand, just smiled at her sister sheepishly.

"This isn't funny, Haliya," The older one sighed, "By the looks of it, they're trying to text you."

"I might have given them your number by mistake," Haliya chuckled, "but look on the bright side, may text mates ka na!" She added as her older sister glared at her.

"I'm going to tell them that you purposely gave them the wrong number," Ilaya sighed, "you shouldn't be giving out my number to random people, you know better."

Haliya shrugged at her older sister's scolding before slowly inching towards the door.

"Ate," Haliya called, "maybe you should try dating, who knows one of the twins might interest you!" She commented before running out of the conference room like her life depended on it.

Ilaya just looked at the door and sighed.

"Dating?" She rolled her eyes, "definitely not for me."

"Paano ka naman nakasisigurado, munting reyna?"

Ilaya turned her head towards one of the plants in the room where a duwende emerged from the soil.

"Hello, Amang Bughaw," Ilaya greeted with a smile, "what brings you here?"

"I just wanted to see how my alaga was doing," The duwende responded. "I heard from Amang Paso that you managed to meet the Lakan," Said the duwende as Ilaya nodded.

"We met her at the Diabolical the other night," Ilaya explained, "we also met her other associates like Hank and the twins."

"Oh, Talagbusao's sons?" Amang Bughaw inquired as Ilaya raised an eyebrow.

"What do you mean, Amang Bughaw?"

"Oh, it's nothing, munting reyna," The duwende chuckled, "but you should consider what little Haliya told you."

Ilaya sighed, "Amang Bughaw, I don't have time for that."

Amang Bughaw could only sigh in response, "Munting reyna, it's about time that you consider marriage."

"I can do well without it, Amang Bughaw," Ilaya interjected, "marriage won't do any good anyway, it's messy."

"Ilaya, I'm just looking out for you," Said the duwende as Ilaya looked at him with a sad expression.

"I know, Amang Bughaw, and I appreciate it but marriage is not for me," Ilaya repeated as the duwende simply sighed and shook his head.

"I best be going now, I'll come back again soon."

"Thank you for dropping by, Amang Bughaw," Ilaya smiled as the duwende did the same.

"I will always look after you, my alaga," The duwende mused, "if you need me, you know what to do."

With that, the duwende disappeared back into the soils of the plant as Ilaya stood up from her seat. The queen looked back at the pot before shaking her head and making her way out of the conference hall where Mabaya was standing.

"I heard your conversation with Amang Bughaw," Mabaya crossed her arms, "he's right you know."

"Ate, if I get married, it will go against everything ama and ina fought for," Ilaya responded, "a Queen doesn't need a King to survive."

"That's not the point, Ilaya."

"Ate, please, I'll get married at my own pace." Ilaya sighed as she began to make her way down the hall. Mabaya rolled her eyes and began to follow her sister down the hall.

"Ilaya, you have to get married soon, you know that."

"I know, ate, you think I wouldn't?" Ilaya responded, "this is the exact same reason why you stepped down from being the Queen in the first place."

Mabaya grabbed Ilaya by the arm and pulled the latter towards her in an attempt to make her stop.

"Don't make the same mistake that I did, Ilaya."

Ilaya glared at her older sister, "I'm not like you, Ate Mabaya," she hissed. "If you had regrets because of what happened to you as the Queen, I won't make the same mistake," Ilaya added as Mabaya just looked at her.

"Ilaya," Mabaya looked sternly at her, "I'm just looking out for you,"

"Like you said, I made mistakes, Ilaya," Mabaya sighed, "and the least I want is for you or Haliya to make the same ones that I did,"

Ilaya sighed and wrapped her arms around her older sister, "I know ate, but I know what I'm doing," she responded as Mabaya sighed.

Mabaya shook her head, "As long as you promise that you won't regret anything, I'm good,"

Ilaya looked at her older sister with a smile, "I won't ate, besides," she paused for a while before looking at the side.

"I don't think men would want to marry a diwata."