16. Angel and Father, Friend and Phantom

Erik was composing all night again. When I woke up and made myself breakfast I didn't expect him to join me. Surprisingly he did. We haven't eaten together since the night of "Il Muto" and I was glad that after almost two weeks he finally decided to sit down next to me.

I wasn't asking questions, since he wouldn't answer anyway. I just handed him the bread and poured some tea into the cups.

He sighed and leaned against the wall. I looked at him and our eyes locked for a minute.

"I'm sorry." He said out of nowhere.

"What?" I asked, confused by his sudden statement.

"I'm so terribly sorry." He said again, closing his eyes, not to look at me. "For what I've done and said. I was a monster..."

"I... okay..." I said baffled, watching his painful frown as if he waited for a death sentence that I was about to give him.

I didn't know how to react and he probably didn't know how to continue the conversation either. There was just silence between us and the conversation void needed to be filled, so I was the one to speak up.

"So... will you finally be talking to me now?" I asked in hope that he was getting better.

Erik looked at me and smirked weakly, relieved that he was going to live for now. I took that as a yes.

"What would I do without you?" He asked rhetorically.

♤    ♡    ◇   ♧

Clink. Clink. Clink.
Our swords were crossing repeatedly.
Attack - Defence. Attack - Defence.

Suddenly Erik flipped his cape over my head. My vision went black for a second and when I saw the light again I was desorientated enough, that he pushed me onto the ground. He stood above me, his blade aiming at my throat.

"Is that even allowed?" I asked as he helped me up.

"Everything is allowed as long as your opponent ends up on the ground." He smiled and explained. I reutrned the smile, though much less satisfied with the outcome of our little match.

"One more time." I demanded playfully "this time I will beat you." I smirked and stated confidently.

He raised his shoulders as if he was doubting what I had just said. But then he took his position and so did I.

I attacked him first and he shielded himself. I took one more swing, making him back out a little. This boosted my confidence.

I kept coming at Erik with my sword and he was walking back until he was against the wall and had nowhere to run anymore. I had him cornered, which meant I won. But instead of a defeated look from Erik's face, I got a slick smile.

My confidence faded away as I knew he was about to do something. I took a swing to finish the fight and suddenly felt my feet driving away from me. I lost my balance and the next thing I saw was my own shoes above my head, which was rather an unusual sight. I found myself lying on the floor.

Dazed, I looked up at Erik, who was triumphantly holding a sword in one hand and the crimson curtain in the other. I laughed and laid my head on the ground.

He defeated me, because I had stood on the curtain. He had pulled it from under my feet and that's how I ended up on the floor.