Chapter 1 - The Audition

Elliott and Zach took their bows for the very last time and the curtain fell, hiding them from view. My eyes still brimming with tears, my legs shaking from the adrenaline. I couldn't quite believe my dream pair had left the show!

----------------------*-----------------------

They're all so professional looking. I've been dancing since I was nearly three. There's a load of street dancers warming up in one corner and ballet dancers scattered about the room doing pliés and the splits. I shuffled in my seat. I don't fit in, they're all better than me! I don't stand a chance, why did I ever think I could be a Billy? Twenty boys at a time are being ushered into the next room.

My turn.

Here goes.

Mam blew me a kiss and mimed snapping her shin in half. I laughed and got some very dirty looks by the boys in front. Fuck them. They're the "cool" people you always get at auditions. You know the ones who think they're too good for the audition? Yeah, that's them. NO-ONE is too good for Billy Elliot. Billy Elliot is the best of the best. So they need a performer who is better than the best of the best.

'Could you all line up against the wall, please?'

The "cool" boys stood looking at the panel like they were some kinda pathogens. The panel already didn't look impressed by them.
The panel called us forward and taught us part of the street Electricity, the street dancers were clearly the best at it. Most of us had our toes pointed and were trying to stop ourselves from going onto demi-pointe. We were then called forward to sing Electricity. It was just like the video on the Billy Elliot YouTube. Except instead of a crowd of boys belting out Electricity in posh London accents, we we're all little Geordies.
We were asked to improvise some dance. The street dancers were doing the worm and kicks and stuff. The "cool" boys shuffling, laughing pretending they didn't care. I set myself in a corner and started doing attitude prominades and pirouettes, pliés and cassé turns. It suddenly dawned on me that I'd taught myself some of the routine in solidarity. I started doing that. The panel were looking at me and pointing. Smiling, I kept going smiling back and them. I burst into the routine Expressing Yourself. God bless my Billy Live DVD. The panel were writing things down. Other boys were staring at me, disgusted at the fact the panel were talking about me.
'Boys, could you all come and sit down'
One of the panel stood up. it was Jessica Ronane from the YouTube video. She was holding a pile of paper. She handed a few sheets to one of the street dancers, one to a boy who'd been doing a lot of tap in the improv. And one to me.
I looked at it.

Dear auditionee,

We would like to offer you a recall for the part of Billy in Billy Elliot the Musical.
Please confirm you will attend by filling out the form overleafed. We hope to see you at the London audition on; Sunday 8th April. If you are recalled again you will be let know by phone.
Thank you very much for attending this audition. We hope to see you on the 8th April. More details are on the overleaf.

Yours
Jessica Ronane, Children's casting director

I actually couldn't believe it. I stared down at my paper. My eyes starting brimming with tears. The "cool" boys were looking me like I had just announced I had siffilis and wanted to share it with everyone. None of them got recalled. BITCHES! "Can you three wait behind?" She gestured to the three of us who'd got recalls. I grinned up at her. I'd never been happier.

The other boys left. The panel left the room. The three of us looked at each other.
'So...' I broke the silence. They both looked at me. The tap dancer smiled. The street dancer just looked pissed off at me. As if I'd done something wrong.
'Who'd you both get recalled for?' I asked.
'Michael,' said the tap dancer.
'Billy.' Muttered the street dancer.
'You?' Asked the tapper.
'Billy. You glad you got a Michael recall?'
'God, yes. I want to play Michael SO badly! I mean, of course I'd of taken a Billy recall, but Michael's who I wanna play. I'm Jimmy by the way.'
'Billy.'
'Haha! No way! Really?'
'Yeah.'
'What's you name?' Jimmy asked the street dancer.
'Liam.'
'Mower.' Me and Jimmy said in unison.
'Ay!' We both said
'Or Sergant.' I pointed out
'Yeah! True, true. The greatest of small boys' Jimmy agreed
'Who?' Liam asked
Me and Jimmy stared bewildered at him
'Liam Sargent, the small boy in the live stream?'
'Ah! I've never seen the show, who was the other one you mentioned?'
'Liam Mower. The original Billy.'
'As I said, I've never seen the show. Or the film.'

You're joking me. This kid is auditioning and he's never even heard of Liam Mower? Me and Jimmy exchanged looks of disapproval.

The panel came back in along with my mam and a man and women. I presumed Jimmy and Liam's parents. My mam came and sat down behind me and kissed the top of my head. Like she always does when she's proud of me. She adopted me when I was two.

My real mam was abusive to me for asking for dancing lessons. Mam found me running around the town crying and took me to social services. They took it from there. I've been with her for just over 6 years now. She's put me in ballet, tap, contemporary, singing, acting and gymnastics lessons. Mam's a Musical Theatre Performer. She was chorus in Les Mis and first cover Éponine and a swing in Wicked in the West End. Both before she had me. She's stopped until I'm 15 though. I've told her if I get a part in Billy she'll have to audition for a West End show so we can be in London together.

'So, congratulations. Liam, Billy and Jimmy. You've all got recalls. Parents if you could just fill out the forms your sons have got on their letters inviting them to the recalls in London. If, for whatever reason you can't make the recall, talk to us and we'll see what we can do.'

Mam readily filled out the form. She's done hundreds of times for herself no doubt.

As we left Jimmy turned to me and said
'See you, Billy!' In the exact intonation Zach Atkinson used in the live stream. My heart throbbed with the thought of Zach having left. But I laughed, and so did the panel. My mam ruffled my hair and laughed too. Liam and his mam didn't understand. But Jimmy's dad did he laughed too and smiled at me.
I didn't really have a response. So I just said
'Hopefully you'll get to say that to me on a more regular basis soon!' I laughed
Jimmy clicked his fingers in a gun shape. The 'ayyyyy!' was back between us.