Chapter 2 - London

'Wakey-wakey! Rise and shine! An-a-an-a-nd shine! And shine!!!' She sung to me
'Long journey down to London today!'
Mam shook me in my bed. She was already dressed. Hair brushed and pulled back in a ponytail, as it was everyday. Her denim jacket on. Original 80s as she always told me.

I decided I'd wear my denim jacket too. Not original 80s but mam said I can have one of her old ones when I'm big enough. I swung my rucksack over my shoulders and we skipped all the way to train station. Mam had had to fork out to get enough for the fare. Seeing as she's not doing any professional shows at the moment she's only got the wage she has is as a singing teacher. She's qualified for dole but she says 'what's the point in wasting money the government could give to families more in need?' For the same reason we rarely go to the doctors. She says if people keep using the NHS for petty things it'll shut down. I don't really understand it. I just know Maggie Thatcher Milksnatcher is bad and she was the leader of the Tories. So I guess they are as well.

We got on the train. Mam handed me my DS and headphones. It had all my music on it. I didn't want to listen to music though. I wanted mam to give me auditioning tips.
'Mam, teach me how to audition.'
'You can't really teach someone how to audition Bills. But if you asking for advice, I'll tell you all I know and I'll read you Ruthie Henshall's book, So you wanna be in Musicals.

'The first thing you need to know is that you need to be confident. But make sure you don't seem full of yourself. You need to make an impression, make sure it's a good one. Always...'

She talked me through auditions, how I should and shouldn't react when asked different questions. It took the whole journey.

We got to the travelodge we were staying in at 3:00pm. We were going to see Billy Elliot again in the evening. I want to see Brodie. He seems most like me and I want to pick up on ways of performing. I've seen Kaine, Elliott and Matteo as Billy. And Joe and Zach as Michael. And Francesca, Dayna and Demi as Debbie. Tomorrow, we're just ganna explore London. Then the next day, it my recall!
I'm so excited for this weekend! (Especially as I got today off school. Mam rang me in as ill)

We got to Victoria Palace at 6:30. We like to get to shows early so we can explore the theatre and look at all the merch, even if we don't buy anything. But of course we bought a keyring.
'It can be your good luck charm!' Mam said handing it to me. She normally brings Minstrels to shows but not today she says it can harm your voice and jepodise my chance of getting another recall.

I stood, expectantly staring at the blank board waiting for them to announce who would be playing; Billy, Michael and Debbie. A FOH came over me
'I'm guessing you've seen the show before?' He laughed
'Yeah, four times, and the live stream of course!'
'Haha! Who've you seen, and who are you hoping to see?'
'I've seen; Kaine, Joe and Francesca. Elliott, Zach and Dayna. Matteo, Zach and Demi. And I came to Elliott and Zach's last show, so Demi again then too! And I want to see; Brodie, Todd and Connie!'
'Well, I'm sure you'll enjoy tonight! He winked at me and left.' You might be seeing more of me. I thought as he walked away.

6:59. Almost time to put up the cast.

7:00 I watched as the put up the names.

At this performance the role of Debbie will be played by:

Kyria Cooper

At this performance the role of Michael will be played by:

Nathan Jones

At this performance the role of Billy will be played by:

Brodie Donougher

A tear fell from my eye. The FOH looked over at me and smiled. I grinned at him.