twenty-nine

There is no charm equal to tenderness of heart.
JANE AUSTEN

"You two are especially clingy today...what changed?" Rose commented as Edward and I held hands over the breakfast table. The Cullens and I had made a small tradition of getting breakfast together at the same spot near the University, well really it was me eating and them pretending to be interested in their cups of coffee.

"Oh come on stop teasing them Rose they probably did it!" Emmett said loudly enough for you to groan and Edward to punch him what seemed like lightly. Truthfully ever since we exchanged "i love you"s we had become a bit more insufferable. We both had trouble parting in the mornings before classes and any time we met up it was overly affectionate. Maybe I should tone it down, but when I looked down at Edward's hand holding mine I didn't think I could be selfish enough to let go of it ever.

Alice snapped us out of our teasing and light-hearted banter, with that look on her face that meant she was seeing something unpleasant. Edward at once frowned, I looked to him pointedly.

"What is it?"

"I hope your passport isn't expired." Edward commented with a grim look in his face, we would be going to Italy sooner than I thought.

Classes distracted me from the impending doom of confronting the Volturi, my dreams were still vicious and Edward restrained me every night he had to. I knew it was hurting him too, the strained expression on his face when I woke up to see myself choking or punching him. It wore me down, and he wasn't oblivious to that I often fell asleep crying and begging for forgiveness which he always gave me.

After a week it wasn't getting better, finals were approaching and I just wanted to survive this quarter and get sleep. Unfortunately that wouldn't be happening.

EDWARD'S POV

Watching her sleep was usually peaceful, until her nightmares had begun she barely stirred or made much of any noise, she was serene. Sometimes she would find comfort in my warmth and move towards me, nuzzling herself into my chest. But now she was violent, a fierce hatred towards me specifically. I tried to not let it affect me, this wasn't her thoughts or actions after all, but maybe some part of her abhorred me the way I always feared. So tonight when she climbed on top of me and straddled me on either side, with her hands coming to my neck I let her squeeze. Let myself feel just how much she might detest me deep down. When I woke her, I sat up, taking her hands off my neck as gently as I could be and pulling her close, smoothing down her hair and waiting for her breath to return to that state I would always recognize. "Oh I-" In the dim light of her room I could make out that broken expression. 

"I know you're sorry, I know."  I did not want to hear those words this time, I needed reassurance of a different kind. I looked up at her tucking a stray piece of hair behind her ear, her eyes wet like they usually got when this happened. I hated the sight, I wished I never had to see it again. I pressed a kiss to her lips, warm as ever and forever inviting to mine. She kissed me back with a sigh and seemed to relax in my hold as she pressed a hand to my cheek, it was far too much. Her body on top of mine and her warmth so ever enticing.

"Mm you should sleep," I pulled back to give her that smirk that she knew meant  no more. Her tears were replaced now with a pout to her lips but she climbed off of me nonetheless.

"Tomorrow, love you Edward." She mumbled half into her pillow while looking at me, it was all the reassurance I needed. I pressed a kiss to her cheek as she drifted off to sleep.

AMELIA'S POV

I woke up to the sound of my alarm and with Edward's arms around me, mine over his, holding him there. I wondered how boring it would be to be stuck here because of me. I felt apologetic towards him again, I let go of his arm to see him looking down at me with amusement.

"I'm sorry, next time just escape from my hold," I didn't know how else to phrase it and I realized that was due to the lack of sleep and overall drowsiness. Edward found that comment funny.

"As if I would want to." He was far too handsome in the morning so I just covered my eyes, trying not to get tempted. He laughed at my antics, pulling my hand away and to his lips. The affection reminded me of last night

"It's getting worse." I started to get ready for the day, moving between the bathroom and closet, Edward watched me from the bed like every morning.

"It is, how about we go to Italy after finals?" It was inevitable and at least they'd have some answers.

"That sounds good, Alice can help convince my dad." She always had a way of dealing with him, maybe it was the vampire charm or something. Finals came and went quickly, and before I knew it I was packing for Italy. It would've been a fun and cute vacation with my boyfriend if not for the underlying tone of extreme danger.

The Volturi sounded exactly like every horror movie's depiction of old creepy vampires. They would know I'm human straight away, Edward would have to protect me and if it came to it they'd die draining me of my blood. We had vials of my blood in our otherwise normal suitcases, hopefully TSA didn't choose us for a random check.

We set off the day after finals, my mother called me incessantly asking to speak to Alice. Alice and Jasper were also tagging along for safety and well Alice was my alibi. In the airplane I sat next to Edward who somehow seemed afraid, "you don't like flying?"

"It's a relatively new concept for me," he smirked and I couldn't help the shock that laced my expression. So I held his hand as he seemed to be paler that he already was. The flight was long, eventually Edward calmed down and I battled sleep. If I slept I didn't want to end up choking Edward in a public setting. He did his best to help me, giving me cold water and caffeine every chance he got. Edward even resorted to touching me to keep me awake, nothing excessive since there were people around but he held my hand, tapped against it poked my cheek when I would start to nod off and even kissed my neck.

"I'm sorry love, I'm afraid I'll have to keep annoying you." When I started to blush at his actions.

"I don't mind." He chuckled before kissing my cheek. The flight finally came to an end and Edward practically carried my sleep-deprived body out of the plane. It was quite a drive to the hotel, Alice and Jasper sat in the front and Edward tended to me in the back. Another eternity later we arrived at the hotel, Edward rushed them for the room keys and at that point he literally carried me to the room, my lids finally closing.

a/n:
long time no see friends!! sorry for the long long long wait i have no excuse :(

i have been super busy but as promised i'll be updating again ;)

ty again for all the support <3