Nothing Lasts Forever

Cw for blood, description of injury, discussion of abuse

Edric was, as usual, messing around.

What was not as usual, was just where he was messing around. Usually he'd be in the library, Blight Manor, or in the school halls. At some times he might be found in streets around Bonesborough, being a general nuisance to anyone who passed by him. And what was more, Emira was usually within, at most, ten metres of him.

However, he was currently lurking in the corners of a large, dingy, ballroom-esque room. The place was grand, beautiful, and wonderfully familiar, in a morbid sort of way. He felt a deep cold pierce him from the shadows. An emotional cold. This room was the site of many a witch's despair, he felt himself becoming more distressed the longer he stayed.

It was much like Blight Manor, but unlike Blight Manor, where he was used to the atmosphere, this place cut a new gash into him.

Dim lights flickered from wall hangings, casting an eerie glow around the room. Their magic was fading.

'Nothing lasts forever,' Edric reminded himself. 'Not even the magic of the Titan.'

A wave of anxiety washed over him. 'Nothing lasts forever.' Emira's words echoed in his head, as loudly they had the day she'd said them.

He magicked a 'hex me' note to the back of a passing guard, and reminded himself why he was there. Hunter. Hunter had told him he needed him. Of course, with the knowledge of how to safely get into the Emperor's castle, he just had to cause a little havoc, but above all, there was something up with Hunter, and so that was his top priority.

He had been waiting for him to message him on penstagram what to do next. For until then, he could not ensure that he wouldn't get lost or caught.

For the meantime, he messed more with the guards. He found it distracted him from the misery pressing in on him from all sides.

He enchanted one of their staffs to lift off, seemingly of it's own accord, and bonk them over the head repeatedly. He flew it remotely around the room, watching the guard chase it desperately, snatching as it came down for another hit. After he deemed the guards suffering to have gone on long enough, Edric let the staff clatter to the ground, directly on the guard's foot.

He sniggered, and prepared to pick on another guard by tripping him, when his scroll buzzed. He fumbled for it, clumsily pulling it out of his pocket.

I'm sorry, one of the guards
caught me to talk. I'll come
down to you now, just stay
where you are.

You got it! Not like I've got
anywhere else to go, I don't
really know this place

True. In that case just
make sure you stay hidden

Will do
I love you

I love you too

Edric smiled softly down at his scroll. He felt a decent part of the room's despair lift off him. Hunter had that effect on him. His presence alone had helped him through many a tough time, including the day Emira had uttered those words at him in their fight.

'Nothing lasts forever. I can't stay around you all the time forever, it's going to have to end one day, so just get over it.' He had left the room and run into the forest after that. Hunter had come immediately when he heard, and they'd spent a wordless night in the forest together, just cuddling in the half light.