The aftermath

Sorry if this chapter sounds a bit rushed- I just wanted to get this idea out

After the- eye incident, at Belos' castle, Edric had been pushing even more than usual for Hunter to simply leave.

And today was no different, sat together in Edric's room. It was cosy in here, more so than his own cold coven bedroom.

He was currently not enjoying it, though.

Edric's constant prying was getting on his nerves- they were supposed to be having Edric and Hunter time, one of the few times in the week where Hunter felt safe and detached from his life with Belos. But a certain Edric kept bringing Belos
up.

"Hunter- please. He ripped out your eye- on purpose, I might add! If that doesn't tell you need to get out, then- I don't know what will. I'm worried about you. It happened once- he's gonna do it again." Ed pleaded.

Hunter sighed, sitting up from Edric's grip. How could Edric switch from kissing and snuggling and watching Steven Universe, straight into this? "Edric, I've already told you! Belos can't control the curse! It wasn't his fault. He needs me..." Hunter trailed off. Did he, though? Belos had said how he could find a replacement...

"You want to know how much I believe that?" Hunter could hear the concern dripping from Edric's voice. It annoyed him. He did not need concern- he was perfectly capable of handling this. "If he truly can't control it, then why are you the only one getting hurt? Surely there would be other coven members who could-" he was cut off.

"Ed, those idiots couldn't tell a knife from a mug. They'd spill to the public almost immediately. He couldn't let them know what he's dealing with- the whole isles would know!" Hunter was getting restless now. Why wouldn't Edric understand?

"He holds it back long enough to be alone. And then he comes for anything he can hit." Hunter explained. "He was the one who took me in, my only family- so I'm the only one he trusts. I owe him this."

"That doesn't make it any better... he should be able to deal with it by himself or with an actual adult. Not a kid. You shouldn't have to worry about being the only carer for your uncle's curse. That's not your responsibility." Edric sat up from his bed and rested his hand on Hunter's shoulder.

"Yes it is! He took me in- without him I'd have nothing, Ed. I owe him this."

"He is your family. It's his responsibility to take you in- the most you'd owe him is doing the washing up twice a week or taking out the bins or something."

"Please stop, Ed..." Hunter's demeanour changed. He just didn't want to talk about this. Maybe Edric would understand if he stopped fighting it and just asked to leave it for a while. "I don't want to think about it right now..." Hunter felt Flapjack flutter over, and land on his gloved hand. He still hadn't gotten the courage to take them off around Edric...

"But Hunter, I need you to understand- what he's doing is bad, please can you just- realise that."

"Edric, please. I can't deal with this right now- can we at least wait a little?" Hunter began, petting Flapjack's chest. It soothed him. Tears began to stream down his face. It had been less than a week since the eye incident. He couldn't handle it. He just couldn't.

"But by then it might be too late. You might not make it. I don't want you to die." Edric began to pull him into a hug, but Hunter shrugged him off and stood up.

"You know what? I'm done here. I'll be back at the castle. Don't come for me, I will throw you to the guards."

"Hunter-"

"No! Ed! No. This was supposed to be time for us. Time for us to just be and be happy, but you have to keep bringing him up. I just want some time where I'm not thinking about him, where all I'm thinking about is you and how much I love you. But it's always the same-" Hunter was full on sobbing now. "Why can't you be more considerate? All you do these days is just- remind me of it, and always when we're being intimate. I just want to have a nice time with you..."

Edric sat on his bed, face a mixture of emotions- hurt, concern, regret- Hunter immediately faltered- he'd hurt Ed. He'd hurt one of the few witches who genuinely cared about him- as much as he made excuses for belos, he knew what he did was bad.

"I'm sorry..." Edric whispered as Hunter mounted Flapjack, and kicked off to fly straight out of the window, back towards the castle.

Despite the fact that he'd left Edric's presence, Hunter was still crying. He hadn't wanted to get mad and upset- he hadn't wanted to hurt Ed. Ed was just trying to help- he was just trying to make things better for him- and he'd ruined it. He'd been ungrateful and bratty and he'd ruined it. Oh titan- he didn't know if he'd ever be allowed back. Edric probably hated him now- he was probably typing a break up message right now.

Hunter couldn't bear it- he couldn't lose Ed, he'd only just nearly lost Flapjack and Belos had been furious- Edric was his only safe place- and he'd blown it, just like every other opportunity he'd been given.

Titan he was such a screw up.

Why couldn't he have just died that day? Maybe then Edric wouldn't have been yelled at. Maybe then- maybe then Ed might be happy.

Hunter's spiral of panic receded as the castle came into view. Anxiety never did anyone in the emperor's castle any good. As a result, his body had long since learned the reflex to calm down whenever he was near.

He flew directly through his window and leaped off, face first onto his bed. He just wanted to go to sleep and forget about this. Titan, this was going to end badly- it was just a matter of time before everyone he loved came to realise what a selfish little asshole he was. And just a matter of time before they became like Belos.

Flapjack snuggled in, chirping in an attempt to make him realise that Edric would never hate him. But Hunter wasn't having it- he had no other experience with  fights between him and those he cared about, besides with Belos.

Before he could begin to cry again, he felt a buzz from his scroll.

Huh?

He picked it up.

Oh.

It was Edric. Hunter braced himself for the break up, for all the hatred and how horrible of a person he was.

But- that never came. He opened his and Ed's messages to find-

'Hey Hunter. I'm sorry. I shouldn't have pushed you so much, I should've realised how sensitive of a topic it was for you and I should've let you come to me when you felt ready to talk. You have every right to be angry with me. After this I'll leave you be until you're ready to discuss it- but I just wanted to let you know that I'm not mad that you yelled at me, I still love you, and that you're still more than welcome here at any time."

Hunter relaxed. Edric- wasn't mad. He'd yelled at Ed, but he wasn't mad. He actually- admitted he'd messed up- wow.

Hunter had never had that happen before.

He was usually met with a horrendous outburst about how ungrateful he was- but Edric hadn't done that- Titan in that moment, he felt more loved than any simple 'I love you' could make him feel.

He felt so warm and content.

He didn't deserve Edric. But he was glad that he'd gotten him.