Prologue

In the country of Panem, there are twelve districts. 

District Two is known for masonry. 

District Ten is known for livestock and farming.

In District Two, Cato Hadley has trained for the Hunger Games his whole life. The academy, training, and girls. That was all he knew. That was all he lived for. Cato Hadley lived for the Hunger Games. When the 74th Hunger Games arrives he volunteers. This was going to be his year.

In District Ten, Wren Eldrid helped out with her family's business. Selling cows, feeding chickens, and taking care of her little brother. Those were three things she had done every day for the past eighteen years. That was all she knew. Wren Eldrid lived for her family. When the 74th Hunger Games circles back for another year she doesn't want to volunteer. She didn't want to be chosen; however, she is. This was not going to be her year.

Two teenagers from different Districts meet in an untimely manner. What more could they have in common besides trying to stay alive? The 74th Hunger Games is nearing quickly and one question remains set in stone. 

Will the odds be in their favor?

...

"Aren't they beautiful?" 

"Yes."

Only, he wasn't referring to the stars.