Chapter Nine

The brunette girl sat on the floor of her shower that morning with tears rolling down her cheeks. She was torn of the decision of meeting Cato Hadley or leaving him alone on the roof. The water from the showerhead hit her hair and made her curled up into a ball. She moved her hair to the side slightly and heard a thump at the bathroom door.

"Wren? Are you in the shower?" Her mentor, Ariana Galde winner of the 48th Hunger Games, asked a question she knew the answer to.

"No, I'm going swimming," Wren said sarcastically. "Yes, I'm in the shower." Her voice croaked out. The woman on the other side hesitated. "Are you okay? You've been in there for an hour." Wren knew how long she'd been hiding in the shower she just wasn't ready to face Roman or Cato. She sighed as she turned off the shower and put her robe on. She pushed open the grey door and almost hit Ariana in the face.

"I'm fine," she said through a tearful smile. Ariana pulled the girl into a hug as she began to cry. Cautiously stroking Wren's soaking wet hair her mentor asked, "What's wrong." Wren pulled away and sat on the edge of her bed. Her now green eyes met Ariana's dark brown.

"Roman kissed me last night after I met Cato on the roof. Cato and I fought and then that's when I ran into Roman. He comforted me and then he kissed me and I've never been so confused in my life." Wren started. Ariana went to say something but Wren continued. "I mean, I thought Cato and I could've had something but then our debacle over dead parents ruined everything, and then I didn't even know Roman liked me. And then he kissed me and I mean I would've rather have Cato kiss me, and oh no-" Wren's eyes widened as she gasped. "I like Cato."

"I was wondering when you'd realize that you liked him." Ariana teased the girl. "And as for Roman, well, let him down easy." She patted Wren's shoulder. "You'll be with me and for an hour to talk about strategy for tonight and you'll be with Serena for an hour to practice manners. Not in that particular order."

Wren sighed as her mentor left her alone. Her back hit the bed with a thud. One thing was now on her mind.

This is going to be a long day.

...

"Wren I need you to put these on," Serena lifted a pair of six-inch heels. "No." The tribute stubbornly said while crossing her arms.

Ten minutes later Wren was walking in the bright purple heels. Serena also had the girl place books on her head. The books fell every five seconds.

"You need to straighten your back more." The escort pushed her hand against the girl's back. "There. Okay, now walk five laps around the room without tripping and we will call it a day." Serena's blue eyes flashed with the challenge. Wren glared at her which only caused the woman in green to laugh. "Oh, honey, you don't scare me. Do you know how many tributes I've dealt with that had anger issues and an attitude worse than yours?" Wren rolled her eyes and began to stumble. Before she knew it she was on the floor with a slightly bruised tailbone.

"Okay, I'm done with the heels," Wren slipped them off and walked out the room. Serena shouted at the tribute halfway out the door. "We need to go over your attitude for tonight!"

Wren stopped in her track and turned around. "I'm going to wing it."

"Wing it?!" The green woman screamed. Wren nodded and walked out to meet Evelyn. "Good luck with her," she muttered to the girl as she patted her shoulder. Evelyn gulped.

Wren watched as the little girl slowly shuffled to meet with Serena. Her long black hair cascaded down her back in waves. Evelyn was a sweetheart and Wren knew that when she died she would be crushed. The older girl sat down in the closest chair and rubbed her eyes.