Akane

Akane-

     The king was punishing me. I knew this was eventually going to happen if I continued being around Akari.

      I couldn't help but fall for Akari. She had been so alluring and kind that I couldn't resist trying to become closer to her. We had been together for two months, and in that time, we had grown closer to each other. I felt happier than I could remember ever feeling. I don't deserve her, but she still stays with me. The king may have control over me, but Akari could do as she pleased, which was just enough for me to remain in confidence. I couldn't fathom what the princess had seen in me but I was grateful all the same. When Akari walked into a room it was like the whole room filled with a light that had been missing before.

    The two of us had been stealing kisses and sneaking around the palace grounds like children for two months, and it made me feel that I had been missing something most of my life. How had I lived without her for so long. Her touch was so soft and gentle. I could feel the love pouring out of her with every kiss. Her lips were sweet like honey and made me want more after every taste. I hated seeing Akari hurt and in pain but it had happened so many times I had grown accustomed to it just like every other pain on a long list of torture.

     I had simply kissed the cuts and bruises on Akari's soft baby skin and ran my fingers through her golden hair until she calmed herself. This pain was the worst I had ever felt. Even when I was whipped countless times and bled until I passed out, nothing compared to the feeling of seeing Akari in pain and the tears spilling from her golden eyes. I would kill anyone who made her cry.

Anyone.

       It was more than I had bargained for but I still loved Akari all the same. I couldn't pick and choose what to love about Akari so I would love her for the person she was, shadows and all. I itched to know what Akari thought and why she was the way she was but I could never bring myself to ask.

      Instead I only gazed at Akari and let her tell me how her day had been, about her nightmares and dreams, about the things she feared and loved. Spending time with Akari was like having a blanket of sunshine and warmth draped over me. And for just a moment I felt at peace. Like if i died here i wouldn't mind and everything would be okay.

                                                                                                      ∼•∼

      I could feel the cold replace the warmth in me as Akari was yanked out of the war room kicking and screaming. She had tears streaming down her face and her arms were bleeding through her freshly changed bandages where the soldiers gripped her.

"Akane, don't give in!" Akari screamed my name with tears streaming down her face. And just like that she was gone.

      I felt myself tensing and hardening into the cold person I was when Akari wasn't around. What did she mean about that?

      The smile left my face and I turned to face the king. I wanted nothing more than to rip the skin of his bones and hear his cries for mercy. And the empty apologies he would give. I would offer him mercy and rip it away. Watching the life drain from his evil eyes would be the most fulfilling sight I would ever behold.

"Please excuse me, your majesty," I said calmly, bowing to the king and silently leaving the room. I didn't give him any time to nod or allow me to leave. In two days I would go to Morell with General Hano and I would have to say goodbye to Akari. The thought left an ache in my lungs and the air left them for a minute.

       Deep down I knew it wouldn't last and Akari was to be married off to the bastard prince of Oznea. I can enjoy her while she lasts at least. I was running the moment I left the king's sight. She was bleeding, I couldn't leave her alone. The feeling of desperation was so overwhelming I couldn't think straight and my steps faltered the further I ran. The panic in my lungs pooled into the rest of me and I could feel myself drowning in what felt like loss and pain. I can't lose her too. I felt a strong hand on my torso stopping me in my tracks.