Akari

Akari-

         I didn't get to say goodbye to Akane and all I had left of her was the necklace she left around my neck. The sense of duty to my kingdom was strong but I was falling for Akane and the feeling of falling was blurring everything. My responsibilities, my sense of duty, my family, my kingdom. They all didn't seem to matter when I was with Akane. I couldn't imagine a life without her. I dragged my bandaged finger over the rough piece of bone attached to the string that hung around my neck. Akane had told me that the necklace had protected her for her whole life and she still gave it to me without a second thought. I sat on my bed with the necklace still in between my fingers. Akane was going to the kingdom of Morell today. She wouldn't be back for a long time.

She needs this more than I do.

The piece of bone dropped back into place on my chest as I got up. I had to say goodbye to Akane. Letting go of her was harder than she led it on to be.

       I could see the ship and Akane from my bedroom window and she was too close to leaving. Before I realized it I was running out of my room with no regard for the guards running after me. The gashes under the bandages on my legs ached with each step. It was like the first time Akane had killed. I watched her slice the child's head clean off her neck. I watched as Akane crumbled to the floor. And just like now I was running. I guess I had always loved Akane. I hated myself for only realizing it until we didn't have much time left. Two months was not enough. All the time in the world would never be enough time with Akane.

       Akane was a sinner with an angelic touch and a devil with the kiss of an angel. She was irresistible. I could never look away no matter how much I knew should have. She was a drug but I was already addicted and I couldn't forget the rush she gave me with every touch and kiss she stole. I sped down stairs and ran through hallways. When I finally reached the docks Akane was gone and I could feel the panic and despair of losing the feeling she gave me sink in with the tears that fell from my eyes.

     No, there was still hope. General Hano was still on the docks. I took the necklace off and clutched it in my hands. Breaking off a piece of the bone from the necklace and putting it in my other hand I approached him.

"Princess Akari, what is the matter?" he bowed and the look on his face was the look of concern and probably some confusion. Probably because of the tears that streamed down my face. I tried previously to stop them but it didn't work. From the corner of my eye I could see My father was watching me from the throne room window. He was but a shape from a distance but I knew it was him.

I need to be quick or else he'll punish Akane more. I couldn't take that again.

        Taking his hands in mine I slipped the necklace into his hands. "Give this to her and tell her thankyou and goodbye. I left him with it and left. The tears had stopped, my cheeks were stained and my eyes were red. Pathetic, what kind of princess are you Akari. The last piece of bone remained in my hand and that would be what was left of Akane when she wasn't with me.

I had to let go of the illusion it could have been any different.