Sports day

Ellie pov

Coming to an end of a school year I am excited to spend my day off at my sons sports day, he has only been looking forward to his for ever, ever since he bought the letter home about sports day he made sure to let me know he was completing and wanted me there, who am I too say no to my son though, but as the school year comes to an end I don't know what I am going to do for his holidays as my work is kicking my arse and I don't want to keep spending him off to his parents or my brothers as I know they have there own lives to life but I still have a bit of time to think about it I guess. Looking at the weather I note that its going to be warm before I start looking though my wardrobe for something to wear, something suitable for a school sports day. Finding a pair of ripped jeans and a grey t-shirt I feel like this is good enough and head downstairs wondering where my little man has ran off too. As soon as he got up he hasn't stopped running around the house excited, he has told my brothers at least five times that its his sports day and I don't know who's more excited my son or my brothers, their inner child is coming out.

"Will you be completing Ellie in the mothers race?" I hear my brother ask from the passenger seat and I must look confused as a second later he's laughing with his other brother like I missed something and I probably have. As my mind goes back to the letter I try to remember everything that was written and I come up empty I have no idea what my brother meant and I hope he's joking about the mothers race as I didn't come compared to run against every other mother.

"It was written on the back mentioning there be a race for the mothers" this time I hear joey say from behind me followed by a laugh, I don't know how I missed this but I did. Looking in the mirror I give my brother a look before focusing back on driving, its only a couple more minutes till we reach the school and I already feel like bailing but I couldn't and wouldn't do that to me son. I will take part only if he asks me too which I'm hoping he doesn't but a girl can dream right.

Pulling up to the school I let Logan run off inside like every other student while all the parents head around the back to the field ready for the sports day to begin and I don't know who's more nervous me or my son as he's completing today while I am just watching but I plan on getting a lot of photos for myself and my parents. Taking a seat on the grass I have both brothers sat beside me with snacks in there hands, I don't know what they are expecting but I know they wouldn't miss this for the world, since moving back home my brothers have come out there way to make sure they are present at every event they could get there hands on, I secretly think they are fighting for the best uncle stop but my son doesn't pick favourites unless its me and he's definitely a mother's boy. Only having to wait around ten minutes the children finally come out the school and onto the field, looking around I spot a camera in near everyone hands as everyone wants to capture the moment and honestly I don't blame them, we all wish they stay small forever.

"Come on Logan, thats it" I hear my brother shout jumping to his feet as he watches his nephew run the hundred metres and honestly I expected this but my brothers are beyond completive and seeing them cheer for my son, they have made it there mission to make sure everyone can hear them cheering Logan on. They have out shouted nearly everyone but watching my son come first in the race I am also on my feet screaming like a mother, I am one proud mother watching my son finish the race, I knew my son could do it especially since he wouldn't shut up about being the fastest in his year and now watching him now I find myself agreeing.

Though out the sports day I have screamed so much I feel like I am losing my voice, my son has made me one proud mother after watching him come first in not only one but three events and every time he won he never rubbed it in anyone faces, he was a true gentleman and made sure everyone made it past the line. He even picked another kid up from the floor and dusted her knees, his father Tristan would have been proud to see him as he always made sure Logan was a gentlemen and now seeing him with a little girl, my heart breaks to see him grow up too quickly, I would have taken a photo of the moment but I couldn't take another photo of someone else's kid without permission and I have no idea who the little girl belongs to. However my brothers were already talking about how he's already a flirt. Finding my son I see him walking over towards me with a smile and I know that smile from anywhere but before I have chance to tell him 'no' I see my two brothers smiling

"No, not happening. I cant run in jeans" I say but it falls on deaf ears as my son is dragging me to the racing line with my two brothers behind me pushing me making sure I get there with all the other mothers but I don't want to run, I cant run in jeans. All the other mothers are laughing at me as I fight my son and brothers but I end up losing as the teacher give me a smile before asking us to line up. I give one look at my brothers before turning around and getting ready, if i'm going to race i'm not coming last then. Seeing my son at the end of my lane I give him a little smile before adjusting my jeans, at least they are ripped at the knees but still they are the most comfiest to run in, I should know.

"Yes Ellie" I hear my brothers yell as I start running along with the other mothers and my first though is, has the hundred metres got longer as the last time I ran it felt shorter but as I'm running now I already feel out of breath but as the finish line comes into view I speed up a little knowing I see how more in the tank but I don't want to increase my lead too much as embarrassing the other mothers in front of there child isn't something I can do. Running across the finish line I throw my hands up before picking up my son and swinging him around, like mother like son ay. Finally putting my son down on the ground I bend over feeling out of breath I regret running that now but seeing the smile on his face as I come first is like another mini win to me. Being handed a bottle of water I take it and head back to my seat letting Logan finish his sports day and I'm glad I managed to get today off and spend it with Logan, even if I had to sweet talk another paramedic into taking my shift, it was worth it.

Climbing back in the car we all head back to my parents house as I am out of breath and I think the sun has got to me a little but today was worth every second, looking in the mirror I see my son has passed out in his seat with my brother next to him, I'm glad he's passed out as I feel like climbing in my bed and sleeping till at least tomorrow, who knew sports day could suck all the energy straight out of you. Pulling up to the house my brother lifts my son up and carries him into the house before placing him down on my bed, I head straight towards the sofa and collapse on it feeling like a power nap, today will always be day I remember.