03

~ phoenix ~

I didn't know why we were here.

Chicago was just another city I once called home, till I was snatched away from it. However, next week was my inauguration and life as I once knew it in these streets was never going to be the same again.

We sped by Gold Coast High, the school we'd despise to our deathbeds. Despite dusk approaching, the lights of the gymnasium were still burning bright the thundering of a basketball echoed across the streets.

Next up was the ice cream parlour. Scream's began as an initiative to 'help young people socialise'. But the council clearly hadn't a clue what they were doing when they handed over the reigns to the locals kids. Since its founding, it transitioned through many themes. The most memorable, being the 90s movie collection. Now, it was... candyland?

I couldn't help but snort.

"Come on," Gianna laughed, trying to shove me out of the passenger side.

I only held up half a fight because: ice cream. The bell above the door signalled our arrival to the cashier in her bright pink 'bubblegum' pinafore. The uniforms were as quirky as ever, apparently. She glanced up from her phone, shot us a half-assed smile before looking down again.

Gianna raised a brow at me and I grinned in return. Was that us ra few years ago?

Approaching the glass counter, I immediately spotted my favourite. Red velvet banana crumble, which I knew I wasn't getting a bite of until the brunette beside me decided on her flavour. And she always took ages.

Ten minutes later, we were back in the car.

"Coffee cake?" I retorted, glancing at the brown mess in her cup.

"Red velvet crumble?" she snapped back.

Offended, I raised a brow, "Red velvet banana crumble, bitch."

"Oh, that makes it so much better, whore."

I shook my head, unable to conceal my grin. "Just eat your ice cream."

- - -

Our next destination was Orchadson Street.

It was my turn to drive, and since we were feeling so nostalgic, why not? Lanterns were hung up, criss-crossing against the night sky. Most of the shops were blacked out, some lit dimly by the last workers shutting up. Gianna rolled down her window. An icy draught swarmed in.

The lights of the Fioretti boutique were on.

In the corner of my eye, I noticed Gia lean forwards, peering into the shop window. I bought the car to a steady halt, waiting too.

Soon enough, there was movement. A short, tanned woman appeared from one of the changing rooms, carrying a duster. We watched her lips move as she spluttered obscenities, glaring at the dust on the racks.

The brunette beside me, almost identical to the one inside, stiffened. My hand shot to the gear stick.

"I didn't think—" I muttered quickly, shifting to reverse. "—I'm stupid, let's go."

But Gianna's hand landed on mine. I stopped, watching her as she watched her mother. A minute later, she surprised me by saying, "She hasn't changed a bit."

I hummed in agreement. Mrs Fioretti hadn't aged since I first saw her in second grade.

"You didn't say," I murmured, "what she thinks... of all this mafia business." Before I knew my best friend was the heiress of a notorious criminal organisation, I thought she was the fatherless daughter of a fashion designer. She'd told me her dad was dead; they came to the US looking for a new start. In hindsight, that wasn't too far from the truth.

Gia was quiet for a moment before retorting, "We haven't really spoken about all that ourselves, Phee."

I bit my lip, regretting the question. "It's fine."

"No," she argued, "you're right. Let's talk. Especially about—"

I clenched my eyes, interrupting, "You first."

I didn't look at her, expecting her to protest. To her credit, she didn't.

"Mom knew what she was getting into, marrying my dad. I don't know why they married but they did. He turned out to be more concerned with having a legacy than a family. After me, there wasn't another pregnancy. He found another woman, with a son. And she was sworn off all men, thank fucking God."

My brows creased with sympathy. "Giovanni said you were joining the business after college."

"Yup, that was the plan. I couldn't stand Mom lying about who we were. When I was little, she went around telling people my dad was dead. I was confused, then angry. How could I escape who I really was?" She sighed. "Papa promised me... I don't know, that we'd have some sort of relationship if I stayed loyal to him. Then you were kidnapped and I agreed to not go college if he'd help me save you."

I remembered. My heart swelled.

"Well, that's what I thought I was doing," she quickly retorted. "But I guess that's when he realised I was too 'soft' to be part of the Cosa Nostra. He also found out about Giovanni and I's... hookup, then changed his will, gave all that belonged to us to my uncles. We stole the will, tried to hide it... and well, you know the rest."

I did, too well.

"I'm sorry for acting like such a bitch, when you were just trying to help," I muttered.

Gia laughed. "I'd hate me too." She was cut short, attention focussed elsewhere.

From the other end of the street, a car was pulling up. Naturally, my hand shot to my thigh, where the glock was attached. Our eyes tracked the vehicle intently. It slowed to a stop yards away and then, the driver clambered out.

He was a tall, slightly lanky man, whose legs were struggling to pull themselves out of the rusty truck. A goofy grin was plastered on his lips. The stranger walked past us, completely oblivious and into the boutique.

Gianna pressed her face against our tinted window, watching him like a hawk. The jangle of the bell sounded and Mrs Fioretti's expression seemed to light up like a Christmas tree. The pair greeted one another enthusiastically, before leaning into an intimate embrace.

Gia scoffed, tearing her eyes away. "Let's go," she demanded.

Slowly, I nodded. I reversed out of Orchadson Street, heading downtown.

"Our spot?"

She shrugged, turning her head away. I pretended to not have seen the misty eyes.

NOTE:
I'm tired as fuck, but here!!
ALSO WHO WATCHED SKAM? ACTUALLY, BETTER QUESTION: WHO WATCHED WTFOCK?! IM IN LOVE WITH ZOENNEEEEEE!!
xo, definitely not on my way to binge the entire series, Rosavi