Chapter 2

Previously..

"Being bossed around by a Goode. Wow. Some things never change." Ziggy says, storming off, Reese not to far behind. "God I hate that little bitch.." Kurt mutters.

Reese's POV

I jog to catch up to Ziggy, hoping to talk. "Hey, you heading to Nurse Lane's?" I ask once I catch up to her. She rolls her eyes, obviously still pissed about what happened. "No, Narnia," she says. "Jeez, I was just asking." I mutter, turning my head away from her, embarrassed.

She sighs. "Sorry, I didn't mean to snap at you. I'm just pissed at all of those fucking assheads," she says, turning towards me. "It's fine, I get it. They all suck." I reply, giving her a small smile. She smiles back. Woah, she's pretty.. I think to myself. 

I know I'm a lesbian, and apparently I don't do to great a job at hiding it, seeing as Sheila called me a f*ggot. She's such a bitch. She'd almost be hot if she wasn't such an asshole.

I shake myself out of trance, seeing as I've probably been staring at her this entire time. "Soo.. Why does Sheila hate you so much?" I ask. She goes to answer, but hears someone coming up behind us. Nick Goode. God, I fucking hate that guy.

"Hey, you should probably get those burns checked by Nurse Lane," he tells Ziggy, grabbing her arm. She scoffs. "No, I think I'm just let them get infected and die," She says, pulling her arm out of his grasp and grabbing my hand, pulling me forward with her. I blush. Jesus, I need to get a grip.

"What, I don't get a thank you?" He asks incredulously, stopping and looking at Ziggy. She stops and turns around, letting go of my hand. I try not to let my disappointment show."Oh, I'm sorry, I forgot. Thank you, King of Sunnyvale, future police chief, for rescuing poor, helpless Shadysider me! How could I ever repay you? Oh, I know. I'll just bat my eyes at you like all the other dumbass girls. Besides, you barely did shit. Reese helped me." She replies to him sarcastically, flipping him off and walking backwards, grabbing my hand again.

"God, he's such an ass," she mutters as we walk through the camp. "Tell me about it," I reply. She looks over at me and grins. "So, Nurse Lane's?" She asks. "Nope, Narnia." I reply with a smirk, and she rolls her eyes playfully, a small smile on her face. 

"Color War is tonight! Do you have a shirt? Here take a shirt." one of the counselors, Gary, says, handing a shirt to some Sunnyvale kid. "Blue is for beautiful if you live in Shadyside! Red is for radiance if you live in Sunnyvale! Despite our differences, we're all perfect, even you two!" The other counselor, Joan, says, tossing a blue shirt to each of us. Ziggy rolls her eyes and catches her shirt in the chest. She keeps walking. I wave to say hi to Joan, giving her a smile. "Hey Joan!" I shout to her over the noise of the campers. "Hey Reese!" She smiles back, then continues to hand out shirts to the little campers.

I quickly jog to catch up to Ziggy, walking into the Nurse's cabin. "Nurse Lane? Hello? I'm in trouble again, help." Ziggy says. "Nurse Lane?" I call out into the cabin. "Nurse Lane, come on, we could die any minute now!" Ziggy says jokingly. I laugh a little bit, her smile growing. She looks around again.

"Nurse Lane?" she asks, looking towards a door that's cracked open. She starts going towards it. "Hey, Zigs, maybe we shouldn't go in.." she steps inside, "there.." I mutter, following her inside. "Zigs? Really?" she asks me, smiling her brilliant smile. "Whatever, you love it and you know it." I say with a small blush and a grin on my face. She rolls her eyes, her face turning pink. She turns away from me and looks down at the desk. "What the.. Hey come look at this." She says, her eyes not leaving whatever she was looking at. "What?" I walk over to her and look over her shoulder, placing my hand on it.

I see a diary-type-thing in her hands, it opened to a page with a news clipping about Ruby Lane clipped to it and something called the Witch's Mark. "What the fuck.." I mutter staring at the paper. Suddenly a voice sounds from behind us. "What're you doing?" Nurse Lane's voice interrupts my thoughts. "Jesus!" I say, jumping and turning around, attaching myself to Ziggy's arm. "You scared the shit out of us Nurse Lane," Ziggy says, running her free hand through her hair. She's really fucking pretty. Ziggy looks at Nurse Lane weirdly, seeing her red eyes as Nurse Lane sniffles. "Are you ok?" she asks, worriedly. I look at the woman, worry imminent in my eyes. "I.. uh.." she starts, but then looks at the two of us.

Nurse Lane gasps at the sight of my swollen, slightly cut and bloody cheek and bloody nose, as well as Ziggy's burns on her wrists. "Oh my! What are we going to do with you two. Come on, let's get you both cleaned up," she says and we both smile sheepishly, walking with her over to some of the beds.

I sit down next to Ziggy on one of them, Nurse Lane handing me an ice pack for my face. I go to put it on my face, but she pushes my hand down, first patching up the small cut on my cheek from one of Sheila's stupid rings. "Now you can put the ice pack on, Reese," she tells me. I place the ice pack on my cheek as she turns to Ziggy.

She opens a small can of burn cream and rubs it around Ziggy's wrists. "Alright, you're going to apply this once a day for three days, okay? It's gonna protect against infection," Nurse Lane tells her. Ziggy watches her put it on. "It's gross.." She says. I snicker and Nurse Lane smiles at her. "You'll survive," she says and just about finishes putting the cream on. "So um... What's the witch's mark?" asks Ziggy.

I elbow her in the side, giving her a 'what-the-fuck-dude' look. She glances at me, with a 'I-was-just-asking' look on hers. Nurse Lane stops rubbing the cream on her wrists and pulls away. "You know about my daughter, right? Ruby Lane?" she asks, but it comes out as more of a statement. "Uh- I don't-" she stutters, but Nurse Lane cuts her off. "Of course you do, everybody talks, I know," She says putting away the tin of cream. "Tell me, what do they say?" she asks. "Uh.. um.." Ziggy stutters. I help her out.

"They say she, uh, killed some people. Friends. Seven friends." I say to her. "Eight. She killed herself that night too, so eight." She pauses and turns to the ground. "Ruby was such a sweet girl. Oh, and she had a sweet voice. She was in choir. She wanted to be a singer," she pauses again, a far away look in her eyes. "I was so proud of her. So proud," Nurse Lane continues, grabbing the bandages from the med box.

Ziggy watches her and occasionally stares at her feet, obviously sorry that she asked. "The doctors say it was a psychotic episode," Nurse Lane says, wrapping one of her wrists kind of tightly before ripping the edge off and tucking it in place and turning to the next one. "That she just snapped," she begins wrapping Ziggy's other wrist, tighter and tighter. "But the kids, the kids say Sarah Fier made her do it."

"That's a little tight-" Ziggy starts, but gets cut off. She glances from Nurse Lane to me, worriedly. "What do you think?" "I don't-" "Because I don't think you go from being a sweet girl with dreams to ripping someone's insides out with a switchblade." she says, still wrapping Ziggy's wrist tighter. "Nurse Lane-" I start, but she cuts me off. "I have found you usually kill for a reason, and sometimes that reason is justified. Sometimes killing isn't murder. Sometimes it's necessary." she says still wrapping and wrapping Ziggy's wrist. "Nurse Lane that's kind of hurting me-" Ziggy grunts out, again being cut off. "Sometimes, it is good."

"Nurse Lane!" We both shout at the same time, causing her to look up while we stare at her. "Once a day for three days, okay?" she says, holding up the tin and acting like nothing happened. 

Suddenly the bell rings and we both look up to see some girl in a polo shirt standing there. "Hi, Nurse Lane," the girl says politely. Ziggy stands up abruptly. Huh, this girl kind of looks like Ziggy.. "Hi, Cindy," Nurse Lane replies. Oh! Cindy Berman, the counselor. I always thought she was kind of a priss. "Ziggy. Ziggy's new friend," she greets, less pleasantly. 

Author's Note

Hey guys! Hope you enjoyed. Sorry these chapters are kinda short, but I don't have any readers right now anyways. I'll probably be posting again later tonight, so wait up for that. Thanks for reading, and stay hydrated!