Chapter Eight

Benny's Pov:

The boys all sat in the dugout, complaining about how it's too hot to play. Honestly I was too focused on Rowan to even play. "Benny man I'm hungry!" Whined Squints, "Let's go to Ruby's Diner."

"Yeah-yeah that sounds good!" Agreed Yeah-yeah.

Not gonna lie, Rubys did sound good right now. "Alright alright." I put my hands up in defense, "Let's go!"

After arriving to the diner we all sat down in a booth, I looked across from me to see Rowan with some other girls. I only knew two of them, Maya and Alondra. I didn't know the blonde girl.

Rowan's eyes were rested low and she kept laughing. She was high again. I knew it. Why was she so careless about what that shit could do to her body? Right then is when I realized she doesn't even care about herself.

How could I be so dumb? That's why she didn't care about anyone else, because you can't do that when you don't even care for yourself.

"Benny man you good?" Asked Timmy.

"You good?" Repeated repeat. I didn't realize I zoned out.

"Yeah he's just starring at the girl he likes." Teased DeNunez.

"Oh shut up!" I defended.

Timmy turned around to look in the direction I was zoned out in, he turned back to DeNunez, "What's her name?"

"Rowan." He answered.

Timmy turned back to their booth, "Rowan!"

Rowan's Pov:

I heard someone call my name so I looked over to my right to see a little boy. I looked at who he was sitting with and I saw Benny. I turned back to my friends and bursted out laughing. They began to laugh as well, "I'll be right back." I said out of laughter.

I had a little bit of trouble getting up, but I was fine, "What's up?" I tried to contain my laughter as best as I could.

"Benny here has a huge cr-"

Benny immediately stood up from the table and grabbed my wrist, cutting off the little boy he was with, "I need to talk to you." He led me outside of the diner.

"What do you want?" I slurred out of my mouth with my arms folded.

"Are you high again?" He questioned me.

Benny's Pov:

"Duhhhh." She rolled her eyes putting her hands up, "I'd offer you some, but-"

"I don't want any Rowan!" I cut her off, "Why do you keep doing this to yourself? Don't you know the kind of shit weed does to your body?"

"Yes I know." She put her hand on her hip, "And frankly I don't give a fuck." She mocked.

"Okay well it's irresponsible and you need to stop!"

"Okay dad!" She started to giggle as she looked at her feet, "I don't even have a dad." She said to herself, still laughing.

"How is that funny?"

She laughed even harder, "You take things too seriously." She said as she laughed.

I just don't understand this girl. I don't think I ever will. I rolled my eyes then looked back at her, she was still smiling.

Word Count: 521