Chapter Fifty Two

"Please come play at the sandlot with me." Benny begged as we were heading home.

"Your friends hate me." I argued.

"They're gonna have to get over themselves. Please, Rowan."

I sighed, "Fine." We stood in front of his house, "I'll put my backpack in my room and get my glove."

Benny's face lit up at the fact I finally agreed to play with him. It was kinda cute, but I just rolled my eyes with a smile and crossed the street.

After I ran upstairs and took my brother's old glove. I met with Benny in front of his house. I could tell he was really excited.

I held my glove with my right hand as we walked side by side. He took my hand abruptly and placed it in his. I looked at it, a little jumpy with the sudden touch, but I didn't mind it so much anymore. I was getting used to it.

Benny's friends were already at the sandlot. "About time Benny-man!" Yelled the short one with glasses. I think his name was Squints or something. He definitely looked older than the last time I saw him. I mean, they all did. He scrunched up his face at the sight of me as we all gathered around third base, "You brought her?"

"Squints, they're dating!" Piped up DeNunez.

Benny quickly turned his head to look at me. He was expecting me to defend the fact him and I weren't exactly dating, but I didn't. I didn't want to.

Benny rolled his eyes at all the boys, "Y'all need to get over yourselves. She's playing whether you like it or not."

"But we already have a full team." Argued Bertram.

"Yeah-yeah. We don't need no add-on. Especially no girl. After what happened last time Benny-man, she's bad luck."

"Shut it Yeah-Yeah!" Benny contended, "You act like you haven't eaten shit several times. Base up. All of you."

*    *    *    *

We played til dark. I could tell that the boys were growing accustomed to me, given my totally amazing baseball talent.....

We were all switching positions; I was going to umpire and Benny was going to bat. "It's Mr. Mertle's mom's birthday today." Said Benny as I took the sweaty umpire helmet from Ham. I scrunched my nose in disgust and set it to the side.

I'll be fine.

"Who's Mr. Mertle?"

"The man who lives there." Benny pointed to a run-down house with a wooden fence surrounding it, "He sets off fireworks for her birthday every year in honor of her."

"That's kind of sweet." I gushed.

The next thing I knew there was a boom in the sky. I quickly looked up to see a red firework explode right above Mr. Mertle's house. After that firework, came another, and another. All the boys watched in awe.

I did too.

Benny grabbed my hand gently and looked at me. I looked at him too. He let his bat fall to the floor, "Rowan, can I ask you something?"

"Yeah, can I also tell you something?"

"You go first." He proposed.

"I thought a lot about what you told me the other day. And I love you too, Benny."

A smile grew onto his face, "Will you be my girlfriend?"

I hesitated before answering. I thought about moving. Maybe long distance? Pen pals? I might not even move. Benny is more important.

"Yeah." I answered.

He pulled me in and kissed me.

"This is right." I thought.

Word Count: 596

So cliche, but this is for the hopeless romantics.