chapter one

Zoe and Marcus had left them alone. Again. Olivia really couldn't blame them, they wanted to spend time together as a couple, she just wished they didn't always insist on Olivia and Pin joining them. Things were still somewhat weird with Pin. Olivia had realized ignoring Pin would only be hurting both of them, they were friends after all, and even if Pin didn't return her feelings, Olivia still cherished his friendship. Still, whenever they were left alone together for too long, things always became awkward. They would hold eye contact for a split second too long, or their hands would accidentally brush, and they would both go silent.

Now they were on the beach. Zoe and Marcus had of course started a race, and this left Pin and Olivia alone. Olivia tried to distract herself and keep calm by closing her eyes, and listening to the waves, and feeling the wind on her face. She cherished small moments of peace such as this one.

"Are you excited for junior nationals?" Pin asked her suddenly. Olivia blinked her eyes open and turned to look at Pin briefly.

"Mhm," she hummed lazily. "That is if Mia lets me stay on the team," she added. Since she hadn't been able to ride at the county show, her chances of making the team lowered considerably. She knew Mia expected the best of the best, and technically Olivia hadn't jumped since the summer prior. Still, Marcus leaving for the academy meant two spots were open, assuming Zoe, Mia, and Susie would obviously take up the other three.

"I'm sure she will, you're a great rider," Pin said. Olivia didn't reply, simply smiled at Pin.

"Well, you're a much better rider than me," Olivia said. Pin looked down, with a smile. She knew he wasn't used to taking compliments. "Do you ever wish you could ride for Bright Field?" She then asked. She knew Pin needed to work at the stables, but Olivia still wondered if perhaps he would've been on the team if he could have.

"Sometimes," he simply said, looking ahead. He didn't need to say more for Olivia to understand what he meant. They soon arrived back at Bright Fields, heading their own way as Olivia brought Nina back to her stable.

"Listen up people!" Mia called out as Olivia walked out of Nina's stable. "It's time for things to change around here. Our little stables rose from the ashes and beat Holloway at the County Cup. And now we've got our sights set on Junior Nationals," She said, everyone gathering around to listen to her. "Which is why I've set up an exclusive with the local paper. I want this yard spotless for the interview. Get on it." Becky and Jade scrambled quickly.

Olivia made sure Nina's stable's gate was closed properly before snatching up a broom, ready to get sweeping.

"Pin, stop what you're doing and re-groom Firefly," Mia said rudely when Pin walked in.

"Uh, rude much Mia?" Zoe said.

"It's okay Zoe," Pin dismissed.

"No, it's not!" Zoe replied annoyed. "If Mia wants you to do any—"

"I said it's fine," Pin cut her off harshly.

"Pin knows who's boss around here, unlike some people," Mia said arrogantly.

"No, Pin's too nice to say anything because he doesn't want to start a fight, you don't deserve his kindness with the way you're treating him," Olivia interjected as she walked away. She hated the way Mia treated everyone as if they didn't matter unless they were of use to her.

"Hey, do you need help grooming Firefly?" Olivia said, catching up with Pin.

"No, Mia asked me to do it, it's fine," he said bitterly.

"Okay well, is there anything else I can do?" She asked.

"It's fine," Pin said, Olivia taken slightly aback by his dry tone.

"I'm sorry, I just—"

"Want to help," Pin finished Olivia's sentence with a laugh. "I know you mean well Via, but really, I don't need help, I can take care of my own responsibilities," Pin said, seemingly apologetic for lashing out. "My dad sold Raven illegally, and that means working twice as much until we win back the amount we sold Raven for."

"Okay, well I know you don't want my help, but if there's anything I can ever do for you, let me know okay?" Olivia smiled, and Pin nodded with a small smile. As much as she hated just staying back and doing nothing for Pin, she knew this wasn't something she could understand, or help with.

Instead, Olivia decided to bring Nina out to one of the paddocks so she could run around some. Olivia sat in the field and took out her writing journal. Nina was a very calm horse, so she wasn't worried about sitting in the field whilst she was untied. She didn't know how much time passed when she felt her journal being plucked out of her hands.

"Hey, give it back!" She said defensively, ripping the journal out of the hands of whoever had taken it.

"Sorry, but I've been calling your name for two minutes straight now, I didn't know how else to get your attention!" The person, who Olivia found to be Susie, said.

"Is everything all right?" Olivia asked.

"No, you'd better come quickly, we have a situation of sorts," she said. Olivia hurriedly followed her out of the paddock to the tack room where almost everyone had gathered.

"Okay, what's going on..." Olivia trailed off when she noticed a grotesque mug in the place of the county cup. "Where's the county cup?" She asked.

"We don't know, Rosie said a cleaner came in here and took it," Zoe explained. "We thought it may have been someone else from here who decided to take the task, but it doesn't seem like it is."

"Guys, I think you should see this," Susie said, holding up her phone. "Callum just posted this."

"The county cup, back where it belongs," Becky read off of her phone. Of course, Holloway had stolen their cup, what a surprise, Olivia thought.

"Mia's interview is in less than an hour. She needs that cup," Susie said.

"I'm so sorry, I was trying to be a horse girl, I messed up," Rosie apologized.

"Hey, don't stress," Zoe reassured her. "Mia will never know the cup is gone, we got this, right guys?"

"Pony Squad assemble!" Becky exclaimed, striking a superhero pose.

"That's not a thing Becky," Jade said.

"Yet," Olivia completed, bumping fists with Becky.

"Where's Mia," Zoe asked.

"She's on the hay bales with Marcus, prepping for the interview," Susie said.

"Rosie, keep Mia away from the tack room, she cannot find out that cup is missing," Zoe said, turning to her sister.

"I'm a master of distraction," Rosie said.

"I'll get the cup back, Holloway doesn't know who I am, so if I get caught I can just act like I'm trying to find somewhere to keep my horse," Zoe suggested. Olivia had to admit it was probably the best idea they could come up with on such short notice.

"You can't go on your own," Susie argued.

"Well, there is one other person they don't know," Zoe said, turning towards Pin. When the latter realized Zoe was talking about him, he turned back to find everyone looking at him expectantly. "Well are you in, or are you too busy running after Mia?" Zoe taunted him.

"You know I've got stuff to do," Pin said.

"Maybe take a break to live a little," Zoe said, and Olivia frowned. Of course, she wanted Pin to take a break and have fun, but she didn't want him to feel pressured to do it. Pin looked towards Olivia as if waiting for something. Olivia simply smiled at him, hoping to convey that he should do what he wanted.

"All right, fine. I can't exactly clean a stolen cup can I," he joked.

"I'm gonna stay here," Olivia said as the group headed out.

"What? Why?" Zoe asked.

"Well, for one a smaller group will be more efficient, less noticeable, but if Mia or anyone else notices we're all gone, they'll get suspicious. I can cover for you," Olivia explained.

"All right then, let's do this," Zoe said.