chapter thirteen

"Becky, Olivia, Bright Fields is on fire!" Was the first thing Olivia heard as she woke up with a start. Zoe was standing at the window, and it didn't take a genius to realise that the bright orange light illuminating her face was a fire. Adrenaline rushed through Olivia's veins, waking her up instantly. She wasted no time in hurrying down the stairs two by two as Zoe yelled for her mother. She half slipped on her boots, running out into the cold night and to Bright Fields.

"Nina!" Olivia called out as she approached. Relief flooded her as she noticed the horses gathered around. "Nina, thank goodness you're alright," she said as she noticed her mare standing among them, hugging her tightly.

"Raven!" she heard Zoe call out behind her. Olivia quickly counted the horses around them as Becky called out for Bob. They were missing three. Suddenly, Raven rushed out of Bright Fields straight to Zoe.

"Bob, where's Bob?" said Becky in a panicked state. Cold dread washed over Olivia. Bob was still in there. Olivia's eyes filled with tears.

"Where's Firefly?" asked Mia. Olivia hadn't noticed her arrival. She couldn't stay still, if they waited any longer, there was no way Bob or Firefly would survive. She hurried towards the stables.

"Olivia! Olivia, don't go in there, it's too dangerous!" called out Zoe's mom. Getting closer, Olivia saw that a tree had blocked the way out of the stables. She heard the whinnies of Bob and Firefly, noticing them stuck behind the tree.

"They're stuck behind the tree!" she yelled, voice shaky. She headed towards the base of the fallen tree, further from the fire, using all her strength to pull the tree back. "Help me!" she yelled. Becky, Zoe and Mia rushed towards her despite Maggie's warnings. Together, they moved the tree out of the way just enough for Bob and Firefly to come galloping out. They ran after the horses, the loud siren approaching letting them know the firefighters had arrived.

"Bon must've done his party trick to open all the stable doors!" exclaimed Becky.

"He saved Firefly!" Mia said in awe.

"And all the other horses," added Olivia.

"Bob's a hero, Becky," Mia said.

"Bob, you're the best. I love you," Becky said, hugging the horse. "Bob? Bob, what's wrong?" Bob started kneeling, laying on the ground and to his side, Becky watching him helplessly. "Bob?" she said, kneeling to his side. She looked up at her friends, a lost look on her face. Olivia's eyes filled up with tears once more.

* * *

A medical tent had been set up to accommodate Bob. Olivia had gone back to her aunt's house, leaving Nina in the stable they had there, and changing into a white button up cotton dress which was cut at the front in the shape of a heart, and some white platform boots. Back at Bright Fields, she strode into the tent.

"How is he doing?" she asked softly.

"You know Bob, loves to be the center of attention," Becky said. Olivia could only smile weakly.

"He's being really brave, but he's having difficulty breathing," the veterinarian said. Zoe knelt down beside Becky.

"Guys, it's okay. Bob has been through far worse," Becky said, a weak laugh escaping her. "All he needs is cuddles and mints and Mr. Duck." Olivia blinked up to keep tears from escaping. She needed to stay strong for Becky. "Wait, where's his Mr. Duck toy? He needs his Mr. Duck toy, that's what'll get him through this. No wonder he's so down," Becky said frantically.

"Becky," Zoe said softly. "I don't think he's down. He is really sick, okay?"

"Don't be ridiculous," Becky said, though her heart wasn't in it. "Bob saved all the horses. Bob's the hero. The hero never dies," she said, and Olivia could tell she was trying to convince herself as much as them. She hugged Bob, and Olivia couldn't help the stray tear that rolled down her face. After a moment, she couldn't take it anymore.