Chapter 10

"It's been a week. My secretary has been watching Rebecca this whole week, I've told him not to tell me anything this week. I want him to say everything in front of you. He's in the office, I want to see your face when you find out you're wrong." Ryerson told her bluntly. 

      It didn't even take a second before Lyla snapped her laptop shut and walked into Ryerson's home study. There was a man in his late forties, waiting for them. She smiled at him and he returned it. Ryerson entered a moment later, "please tell us what you've learnt the past week, Mr. Welsh."

      "Ms. Rebecca is doing her job, nothing is of suspicion Mr. Reeds."

     That's what Ryerson expected the secretary to say, instead he said:

     "If I may be so bold, sir, I have to say that Ms. Rebecca is not worthy of her position in the office seeing what she has been doing from what I've observed. She does not do any work but forces it on the employees under her. She instead spends the time in her office either browsing through Chanel shops and doing online shopping or looking at fashion magazines in her drawers." Mr. Welsh opened the file he was holding, taking some fashion magazines out. 

      They were of expensive designer dresses and, um, women's inner-wear, "I have also found that she has found a way to access a salary twice her true salary." Ryerson gaped at the man, the pen in his hand dropping. He refused to look at his wife.

     "A-are you sure, Mr. Welsh?" he demanded. The man nodded.

     "Quite sure, Mr. Reeds." Ryerson dismissed him, "have a nice day Mr and Mrs. Reeds." he acknowledged before walking out. Lyla looked at Ryerson, he was going through the file Mr. Welsh left with evidence with a slight pout on his lips. 

      It... actually looked pretty cute.

     "I guess you were right about this," Ryerson said, a sneer on his face, he still didn't look at her.

     "This wasn't about being right, goddamn it," Lyla said, getting a bit irritated, slapping her palm down on his desk, "this was about the business and to simply teach you that sometimes I am right, even if I was wrong I would have apologized to Rebecca. I admit when I'm wrong, I'm not that stubborn." he looked up at that.

      "Aren't you?" he asked back, getting up.

     "I'm not," Lyla replied, standing her ground. 

     Just once, he wanted to see her confidence slip. He didn't like the guard she put around herself. 

     Ryerson walked closer to her, she didn't step back. She only raised an eyebrow his way. He wrapped his arm gently around her waist and her eyebrows rose higher, but her guard was still not down. It was slightly frustrating now. Pushing her slightly, with both hands on her waist she stumbled back to the wall. He smirked, he liked seeing her like this. Him caging her, her eyes filled with an innocent confusion but her eyebrows raised up to saw a playful sarcasm.

      "If you weren't one of the most stubborn people I knew, Lyla, you would have accepted my apology." her head sharply turned to him and momentarily he was distracted by the proximity of their lips.

      "I did accept your apology." if you even consider that an apology, she added in her mind. But then again, if Ryerson was insisting so much, she just didn't want to hold the conversation for so long.

     "No, you didn't," he gripped her waist tighter, it felt quite nice, with their bodies pressed together, faces so close. It was like after the photoshoot when they had to stand so close now he was craving it. Now if she would only get flustered or blush or anything, "I don't apologize to anyone, but I did to you-"

     "Am I supposed to feel honored?" she interrupted, he pressed himself harder to her body, for the first time truly no space between them, a wave of heat ran through both of them, making the small hairs on their skin stand up. Ryerson's smirk widened for the first time as her breath hitch very slightly and she wouldn't meet his eyes. Instead, even though she had a confident posture, her eyes weren't permanently locked to him. But he wanted a better reaction.

     "You're supposed to accept my apology by realizing that," he told her, his lips grazing her ear in the smallest of caresses. He pinned her wrists to either side of her. He knew she was more than strong enough to push him away but a question lingered in his mind, why wasn't she already?

     The truth was that as new that all this felt, Lyla did feel comfortable in Ryerson's grip like this, if it was not for the conversation they were having, she would undoubtedly already be craving to kiss him already. 

    "I did accept it."

    "Did you?" Ryerson ran his hand away from Lyla's wrist and up her arm. She didn't have the usual cliche reaction, she didn't blush or shiver or anything. This time she looked right in his eyes, any past reaction gone.

    "Well, excuse me, but go to any girl out there and they'll be at least a bit angered with what you said."

     "Angered or upset?" he was genuinely curious about this, stopping his hand from wandering for a second.

     "Depends on the girl, I guess," Lyla answered, with a blank face. She didn't even show any emotion to what her reaction was. Damn, she was good.

     "You stopped giving those small smiles," he said randomly, he nuzzled his nose into the dip of her neck, it bruised his pride to feel that her pulse was not increasing. Seriously, where was this girl's' reaction? She had an admirable amount of self-control.

     "And?" she prompted, "so, what?"

     "So, nothing," he answered. He didn't even know why he brought it up, "so I just wanted to tell you that I noticed."

     "You noticed that I had been trying before you said all that when you were wasted?" she asked sarcastically. He left a trail of light kisses on the side of her neck, he could feel her pulse quickening steadily with each kiss he placed.

     "I didn't mean it," now Ryerson sounded desperate for her to believe him. Lyla had to look at him, his voice was raw with sincerity and after a few moments she said.

     "...I believe you," his head resurfaced from her neck. For some reason, she did. She was always stubborn and strong-minded, it was something she knew would never change but she had to give another chance. This was marriage after all. She wasn't going to divorce, marriage was a lifelong commitment, so she had to try her hardest, right? Even if it meant to put her pride, ego and stubbornness away for a bit? Especially since Ryerson seemed to be doing the same.

     "You do?" Lyla simply nodded. Then for the first time she saw his lips stretch into a smile. She had seen him smirk, but now, his lips curved into a wide, honest grin. Unexpectedly, the sight sent a wave of goosebumps down her neck and arms, she would be lucky if he didn't notice and he didn't. She had to wear a small smile too however. There was a prolonged silence, "stared enough, Mrs. Reeds?" He was hoping to embarrass her but she didn't back down.

    "You look less like someone I'll hate when you smile," his smile stretched more in amusement and she laughed. If she wouldn't back down for even that much of a humiliation prompt there was no use expecting a reaction from her as he held her against the wall. Ryerson couldn't make out the look she was wearing though, as if she was expecting him to do something. He let go of her waist, already missing how the curve fit in his hand.

     "I'll be firing Rebecca," he informed her, filling the staring contest.

     "I thought you would be," Lyla responded with a laugh. She didn't miss the way he smiled once more and taking that as reward enough, she walked out of the room.

_____

You like it? That was the first 'trying to get steamy' scene you've seen from me. 

Don't worry, though. I'm on Wattpad of all things 😂. If it's not good I'll learn soon enough. 

Please comment for any tips and feel welcome to vote and share!