Burning Lungs

The akuma attack was pretty straightforward. No surprises. No extra heroes needed. No problems.

But the akumatized villain wasn't the one that Ladybug was nervous to see.

Well not really 'see.' More like, 'have to talk to.'

That distinct honor went to Chat Noir.

Luckily there was no real chance to talk during the attack. But afterwards was a completely different story.

Avoiding eye contact, her heart was pounding as he approached her for their traditional fist bump.

"Pound it?" he offered, extending his arm out.

She lacklusterly obliged. "I... I have to go," she said before quickly grabbing her yo-yo and swinging off.

"Wait up!" Chat Noir called out after her. Just as quickly he took out his baton and followed.

Realizing that she wasn't going to escape from their inevitable conversation, Ladybug stopped on a rooftop and waited for him. Hopefully he would be as cool with the situation as he seemed last night. "Yes, Chat?" she asked quietly, keeping her gaze down as he landed in front of her with a thump.

He looked at her hesitantly. "I uh, just want to make sure that you're okay. You know, after what happened."

Alright, this wasn't going so bad. "I'm fine," she mumbled.

"Are you sure?"

"Yes."

Silence for a moment. "We don't have to talk about it if you don't want to."

She paused. "I'm not dating Adrien Agreste."

"Yeah, I know," Chat Noir shrugged.

She finally looked him in the eyes. "How do you know that?"

"Well, the news report said that you two have been dating for a month. If that was true, you would have told me by now. Besides, it seems very strange that you would date someone as Ladybug instead of your real self."

Floored by the level of confidence he had in her, Ladybug's mouth fell open.

He smiled. "You seem surprised."

"Well yeah," she murmured. "I thought for sure that you'd be upset, but you seem so... not upset."

"I'm not," he insisted. "But I'm wondering how you feel about the whole situation. I mean, kissing Adrien Agreste is very... out of character for you. I know that every time I tried to make a move, you pushed me away." He stopped, afraid that she would take it the wrong way. "Not that it's bad," he continued, putting his hands in front of him. "You have every right to push me away. I guess what I'm trying to ask, is why you didn't do the same thing to him?"

Completely exasperated, Ladybug covered her face. "It's complicated," she mumbled.

"Complicated. I can understand that. What are you, in love with him or something?" Chat Noir joked, chuckling to himself.

Now Ladybug had a brand new reason to keep her face covered. She needed to hide the blush that was lighting up her cheeks.

When she didn't immediately deny it, he stopped laughing. After a few seconds of awkward silence, he continued. "Oh my gosh, are you really in love with him?"

More awkward seconds passed as Ladybug desperately tried to think of what to say. Finally the silence was broken by the beeping noise coming from her earrings. "I have to go," she muttered.

"Is Adrien Agreste the boy you're in love with?" he asked, disregarding her attempt to avoid answering the question.

When she didn't respond again, he stepped up and pulled her hands away from her face, revealing fresh tears. "Uh, uh I'm sorry," he apologized, shocked at seeing her saddened expression.