Cold Shoulder

Finally, some good news.

Throughout the last several weeks, Adrien had nothing but bad news for Marinette. So he was relieved to finally have some good.

Pulling her aside at school, he was all smiles as he told her. "Hey, I just wanted to let you know that the situation between Ladybug and I is over now."

"Really?" she asked, raising her eyebrows.

"Yeah, my father just told me this morning. We can stop pretending to be in a relationship, so we're officially... broken up I guess."

"Okay, wow. Thank you for telling me, Adrien."

"You're welcome. I uh, wanted you to be the first to know."

Well, she was definitely the first. Ladybug hadn't even heard the news yet. "Well I'm very happy for you. I know you've been wanting that to end for a while now."

"Yeah I have." He stopped to put his hand to the back of his neck. "And I know you said that you didn't want to hear any more apologies, but I wanted to say one more. I'm really truly sorry about this whole thing. You were nothing but a wonderful girlfriend, and I completely screwed everything up. I'm so sorry that I hurt you."

A weak shrug. "It's okay, Adrien. I know you feel bad about what happened, and I accept your apology."

"And... I really was thinking of you when I kissed Ladybug," he added quietly. "She reminds me of you. Do you believe me when I tell you that?"

Marinette couldn't make eye contact anymore, so she looked away. After a second, she answered him. "Yes Adrien, I believe you."

He nodded in relief. "Thank you, Marinette."

"You're welcome. I uh, should probably tell you something too," she continued awkwardly. "I started seeing someone." Keeping her gaze away, she braced herself for his reaction.

"Oh, that's... awesome."

She looked at him again. "Really?"

"Yes of course. I knew you wouldn't stay single too long, being so wonderful and all. I want you to be happy, Marinette. And if this guy makes you happy, then I support you."

A smile. "He does make me happy."

Adrien smiled back. "Then I think that's awesome. But just so you know, if this guy ever messes up and breaks your heart, I'll be more than willing to beat him up for you."

And Marinette thought she would topple over from laughter. Just the mental image of Adrien trying to beat up Chat Noir sent her into a fit of giggles. After a moment, she regained her composure. "I'll let him know," she said, wiping a tear of laughter away.

"Good, please do. I really care about you Marinette, and I'll always be there for you. Uh, as a friend, of course."

Overcome with relief, she moved forward and hugged him.

Surprised, he froze for a moment before hugging her back.

"Thank you," she whispered. "You know that's all I've wanted."

"You're very welcome," he replied.

After another second, Marinette pulled away from the hug. "So, we're cool?"

"We're very cool."

And something happened. A moment passed between them.

So with two matching smiles, they walked together to their next class.

************************************

For the first time in what felt like forever, there was an akuma attack.