Ch 10: "The end of our world"

Three weeks later...

(Katie's pov)

Weeks passed by, and the whole city of Lucella became a disaster.
It seems that this supposed "cure" turned out to be a substance that infects you, makes you aggressive, and makes you lose sight of who you used to be.
Brenda, some other doctors and I were hiding in the hospital. We were finished treating some injured people. It was actually a big mistake, since some of them were attacked by these... Infected. And once they attack you, you start slowly turning into one of those things. With that being said, you can obviously guess what happened next. In about an hour, the hospital was full of them. We all were forced to get out.

Brenda: Okay, the time has come. Ready to fight?
Katie: I'm ready, I guess.

We found a couple of saws in a room. We took them and used them to defend ourselves. I was pretty easy, and we went out with not even a scratch. Or that is what I thought.

Katie: Well, gotta admit, that was really fun, right Bren??
Brenda: Huh? Yeah, it was... Fun, I guess. But I think I am injured.
Katie: What? Please, don't make pranks like that, they are not... Funny...

She turned around, and I was able to see a little scratch near her lip. It looked cool, but it still was a problem.

Brenda: ... I think it's time to say goodbye, right?
Katie: Don't say that!! It could be anything. It doesn't necesarily has to be from an infected!!
Brenda: I'll miss you too, best friend.

I bursted in tears after hearing that phrase. We hugged each other, and I couldn't stop crying.

Katie: T-Take care, okay??
Brenda: I will. You should too. I wouldn't like you to turn infected.
Katie: I'll fight as much as I can, it's a promise.
...
Brenda: You should go now. Please, don't look back. I'll stay here.

I just nodded and turned back to get away. I won't lie. It was really sad. I had nowhere to go. All I could do is run. And that's just what I did, but I was drenched with tears. It was really sad the thought that my best friend for the last five years was now turning into a monster. Or, in the worst case, dead.

(Felix's pov)

The Carnival had been taken by a bunch of monsters with glowy eyes, so Foxy and I got out as quickly as we could.

Foxy: Any ideas on where to go?
Felix: Not really... Oh, I got one! How about we go to the forest? I don't think they'll be there.
Foxy: Well, it's our last choice. Let's go!

When we got there, I could see a cat in nurse's clothes. It obviously was Katie. I also heard some sobbing. A few seconds later, she turned around and looked at us.

(Katie's pov)

The only place I could think of was the forest. It was suggested by Brenda some months ago, so I really wanted to go.
When I got there, I sat on the ground and continued crying. Obviously I didn't do it too loud because I didn't want the infected to come to me. That was it. I was alone in this world until they came. I felt a presence behind me. Whoever was there didn't attack me, so I turned around and saw Felix and Foxy. They were staring at me. I just stood there for five seconds, and then I ran towards Felix to hug him as I cried louder.

 I just stood there for five seconds, and then I ran towards Felix to hug him as I cried louder

Katie: Please... don't leave me as she did...
Felix: It's okay, we are here.
Foxy: What happened?
Katie: Brenda... She's... gone...

I saw how both of them suddenly put sad expressions on their faces.

Felix: We're sorry. But hey, stop suffering. That's not what she would like. Let's keep going.
Katie: Okay...

We laid on the floor and tried to sleep.

(??? pov)

???: Should we bring them with us?
???: Well... We need more people.
???: Wait, is he hugging her?
???: That's so cute!
???: That's so romantic!
???: That's so pathetic.
???: C'mon Willow, you have to enjoy this!
???: No, we should stop wasting time. They are going to sleep now. Hurry, try to bring them up.