658

I told Nqaba about my conversation with Stella, and that she has not replied since I told her she could come. He asked if I really meant it… I laughed. 

Me: I'm not sure… I feel like I want to kill her with my bare hands, pha kula grave yard ndizomsa kuyo. Ndimkwritshe ndimshiye phezu kwengcwaba lika dad'wabo! 

Nqaba: Usobanjwa yazi Luthando. 

Me: You have my back, andizobanjwa tu. 

Nqaba: Luthando, I don't create the South African law, I don't have a hand in the judge's decision making process mna ecourt. 

Me: But, you can manipulate the stupid South African law, and because of that, we won't even go to court. 

He shook his head, I kissed his cheek. If he was able to save Chuma's ass the whole damn time they were in a relationship, why wouldn't he be able to save mine? Uyagula. While we were still eating, Mr Titus Senior called, Nqaba put the phone one speaker so I could also be part of the conversation… 

Nqaba: Senior?

Titus: I've just come out of the meeting, the guy is willing to talk to his wife if your wife is willing to meet them half-way. 

Nqaba: My wife has already agreed to take them to the graveyard, Stella hasn't responded to that. 

Titus: They think it's a trap. 

Nqaba: Then we don't have control to what they think, umntu must just deal with her mind and come to her senses. We're tired of this, and I don't want to get involved because blood will be spilled. I won't sit back for long, tell them to just make a decision, set a date or else they will have me to deal with. 

Titus: Okay. 

Nqaba: Ntando should be back from the UK in four days, so tell that man that he has four days to talk to his wife. Or we'll deal with both of them the only way we know how. 

Titus: Roger. 

They hung up. I looked at Nqaba wondering… WhyWhy was Mr Titus "submitting" to his voice? I know he said he came back to help them, but he sounded submissive man. He sounded… 

Nqaba: We should eat up and go home. 

Me: Which home? 

Nqaba: Our home, the guys should be done fixing up. Even if we won't be able to sleep in it tonight, I just want us to check progress. 

Me: You have people fixing the house? Why didn't you tell me? 

Nqaba: You have a lot on your plate Luthando, getting helped doesn't mean you're weak or unable to do things by yourself. Also, Keri is helping so I don't think they'll ruin anything or even cramp your style. 

Me: You said Ke- argh never mind. Bhatala ibill sihambe. 

Nqaba: Umntu ubhataliswa nakakhe? 

Me: You want to give us a bad name? That we eat and leave the restaurant? Hay baby don't be that person, worse ii rules zakho zithe if the bill is not paid, it falls over to the person who was serving. 

He laughed as he took out his wallet and signaled for our waiter to come with the bill. The young man came with it, still smiling and very polite. Nqaba swiped, and then tipped him nge R500 cash. He couldn't believe his eyes, he literally froze in one place. We got up, smiled at him and walked away. The ride home was very quiet, not tense. I was soaking in his presence, felt really good to have him back. But at the same time, I was thinking about Stella and what I would do to her if I were to see her. We got to our house and the people were still busy, there was just too many people for my liking. I stayed behind for a couple of minutes and watched him liaise with his men. After he walked inside, I followed up. The cottage was out, just a plain spot where it used to be. I walked inside, and I was impressed… The kitchen looked at though nothing had happened. The passage was neatly done, back to its old self, except of course for the unmissable stench of paint. They were busy with rooms, mine was untouched, which I appreciated the most. Must have been Nqaba's instructions. 

Nqaba: You like? 

I turned around to a nervous husband, and 8 smiled nodding in approval. 

Me: Enkosi baby. 

Nqaba: I didn't think you'd want anyone in your room ke, we'll do it ourselves if there's anything you'd like done there. 

Me: I appreciate that, enkosi. 

Nqaba: The uhm, cottage. We'll have to rebuild it. I have ordered the material, it will take about three days to be delivered. 

Me: That's okay, we should be back here in three days, right? 

Nqaba: Yes. 

Me: Uzolalaphi kengoku wena before then? 

Nqaba: Apha. 

Me: Kuyasetyenzwa apha baby, iyaliva ivumba le paint? 

Nqaba: I'm a big boy Luthando, an entire father of five. Surely I won't miss bullets ndizobulawa yi paint? 

Me: I won't take risks… It's still unsafe to be here, besides the paint ke. 

Nqaba: Haibo, so I must run away from my own home ngenxa ka Stella baby? 

Me: You have an apartment somewhere in the city tatakhe, sleep there torho. Uzondenza phakuphaku if you force things and sleep here. 

Nqaba: Kukho abantu kuyo, the extra guys I brought in from Congo. 

Me: You brought in extra guys? I thought you said you're coming with… Okay, it's fine. I'll book you a room ke. 

Nqaba: So mna ndizolala e hotel ngoku ndine bedroom eright kwam? Who's going to pay for that kanene? 

Me: Your wife has money, relax. 

He laughed, pulling my waist towards him as he kissed the crown of my head. 

Nqaba: I'll only sleep kulo hotel yakho if you'll join me. 

Me: I have a room kwa Keri. 

Nqaba: Just like I have a room here. Look, Luthando… do you know how cold hotel beds are xa ulele wedwa? On my first night in South Africa wena ufuna uyondilalisa ndedwa??? Hayi mkam yitsho ba awundifuni. 

Me: You're such a baby! 

I kissed him, and pulled his hand as we walked out. I booked us a room as he drove me to Keri's house, it was still too early so he promised to pick me up in the evening. I was still home alone, so after he left u went to my room and opened my gift bag. He bought snacks, favorites zodwa and a new dress and heels. I expected nothing less. 

I sent him a text: "I've also reserved a table for two…"

He responded: "That means you like the dress, see you at seven then."

I smiled, smelling the flowers. Love like this was surely meant for the books, not for us, broken mannequins.