𝟐𝟖. ✭ 𝐁𝐑𝐎𝐎𝐊𝐒 ✭

I close the door as I watch the two of them walk down the hallway, the last thing I'd expected was to see Torey and his mother here. From the look of it, they're staying at The Harvey Watch. I hadn't been told since Torey and I haven't had any means of communication since he'd last been here. That had been an interesting experience, to say the least.

I've fought a lot of men in my time, trained with them in the military. Never in my life have I ever gotten... excited. It was completely unintentional. There we were, grappling on the floor, each of us trying to get the upper hand. Our bodies had been all over each other, testosterone flowing freely between the two of us, and then he'd topped me. His body had been pressing against mine asserting more and more force as his hands clung to my neck, asphyxiating me. Those blue eyes of his pinned mine, muscles flexing, jaw set in determination and that's when it hit me like a ton of bricks— the realization that I was getting turned on.

Before I could do anything, besides freak the fuck out internally, he had the same realization as well. He went from looking murderous to looking astonished and I took that opportunity to chuck him the fuck off of me. I'd thrown my arm over my eyes, caught my breath, and calmed myself all the way down.

I'm still grappling with exactly what'd happened. I mean, yes, I know what happened but I don't know why it happened. Wrapping my head around the situation was something I just haven't been able to do.

Seeing him just now brought that all to the forefront of my mind. The way his eyes roamed over me just now made me a bit uneasy. It left me with a bunch of questions. Was he thinking about what happened? Did he even care? Like he said, he has two fathers. He didn't care. It didn't matter to him.

But it matters to me.

It matters because the more I think about it I think I actually enjoyed it. I can't stand Torey as a person. He's way too fucking arrogant. He's too controlling of Dani. He's a complete fucking dick. If we weren't interested in the same woman there'd be no way we'd even be friends, even acquaintances.

So, why is it that every time I play the scenario in my head I get aroused?

"Where are you right now because you're definitely not here?" Dani places a hand on my back. I hadn't even turned around from facing the door. "Are you alright?"

I clear my throat. "Yeah, yeah," I turn myself around, "I'm fine, just lost in thought."

"What about? Torey?" I look away from her at that because I hadn't shared what'd happened between us. "His mom?"

"No, just the situation. She brought up strategy. So, you know," I tap the side of my head, "my military brain is just running through scenarios." Not the kind of scenarios I'm implying, but yeah.

"I thought you said people who were part of crime families or organizations aren't allowed to stay here?"

"I'm assuming Torey's mother has some pull with the guild. She was an assassin back in her time, it would appear she still is." The woman had a confidence about her that was entirely sexy, not like the arrogance Torey has but just confidence, strength.

"What's the point of rules if they're just going to break them?" Dani's tone tells me she's frustrated that they're here. Being here, the two of us together, has made her feel some normalcy. Torey and his mother showing up brought our problems right back into the light.

"The rules used to be anyone in the underground world, any crime member, could seek shelter here. They used to be able to bring weapons too but not use them. Most of us just feel comfortable with our weapons with us. I know I do."

"I've seen you wield a baseball bat. I'm sure you'd make due with anything." She lets out a dry laugh. "Why'd the rules change, then?"

"Apparently, from what I've heard, there was a member here that some gang came after and the member completely decimated the group. Shot up an entire floor. Cost the guild an arm and a leg to replace everything, get the trust of its' members back."