Chapter 4

"And? How was it?"

Amaris grins. Now fifteen, she'd just completed her first day of high school. She and Chris walked to and from the school each day. They were close to the portal in the forest, simply chatting about the day they had.

"Not too shabby, I guess. It's school."

"Still hanging out with Josh and Taylor?"

"Actually, it's Tayla now; she/her pronouns."

"Ohh, okay, gotcha."

"But yeah, they're still pretty much my only human friends I have."

"Well, that's okay. Humans can be dull anyway."

"Hey!"

Chris playfully shoves her and they laugh. They find the old oak tree where the portal is.

"We're meeting with the council tomorrow, right?" Amaris asks.

"Yes, they're looking forward to hearing about how you're assimilating to high school."

"Do you have to do anything tonight?"

"Eh, there's a trickster spirit in the astral that they want me to take care of, but that shouldn't take me long."

They step through the portal. Chris then grabs Amaris and apparates them into their home. Amaris blinks and finds herself in her bedroom.

"Are you okay for now? I shouldn't be gone more than an hour."

"Of course, Chris. I'm fine."

Chris gives a small smile, then kisses the top of Amaris's head before he apparates out of sight.

Amaris grins. She waits a moment to make sure Chris wouldn't stumble back into the room having forgotten something, or to check on Amaris as he often worries about leaving her. When he doesn't return, Amaris reaches into her backpack and pulls out the gift that Tayla had gotten her. Squealing with delight, she runs off to the showers.

X

"Gods damn these bastard trickster spirits," Chris sighs as he apparates back into his quarters.

"Chris?" Amaris calls from elsewhere.

"Hi, love, I'm home," Chris calls in return.

Amaris appears from the other room, a small change in her appearance. Chris smiles.

"Did you do that while I was gone?" He asks, referring to her newly dyed black hair.

"I told you I could do it myself."

"You did," Chris says, "You're becoming very independent. Hell, you always have been."

"So, do you like it?"

"I do."

"Well, thanks..." Amaris slowly approaches Chris, "Um...there's something else I wanted to ask you."

"Of course, princess. Anything."

"Well," Amaris starts, "I know that I don't go to a lot of human events very often, just out of precaution -"

"You know that it's fine for you to go out with your little friends as long as -"

"I wanna go to the Homecoming dance."

Chris blinks, "Oh."

Amaris brings her shoulders up to her ears, as if to be shrinking down, "Can I go?"

Chris chuckles, "Of course. Be careful, please, but I don't want to deprive you of any sort of human experience like that. Besides, I'm sure Azazel would love to make you a dress."