Chapter 5

"Mmmm...Hmmmm..."

Chris appeared immediately at seventeen year old Amaris's bedside. She often made noise in her sleep when she had nightmares, so Chris always did his best to comfort her when he could.

"Oohhmmm...Mmm...Hmm, mmm..."

Chris sits down on the edge of Amaris's bed. Her entire body seems to jerk, and he places a hand on her back.

"Chris..."

"I'm here."

Amaris's eyes open suddenly and abruptly, wide as if to be in a state of shock.

"Chris?"

"I'm here, my love. It was just a nightmare."

Amaris blinks, "Right," She states, "A nightmare."

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah." Amaris sits up, "What time is it?"

"Eight."

"We have to be at our meeting with the council in a couple hours?"

"Yeah."

"Okay, well, I guess I'll start getting ready for the day."

Amaris gets out of bed and makes a b-line for the washroom. A million human thoughts were running through her head right now that Chris would surely be unable to answer. Not that she'd even want to ask him though.

Her first thought: did cold showers work for girls too?

X

Chris and Amaris apparate into the study where their meetings always took place.

"Hello, everyone," Chris greets.

The rest of the demons great them, but Asmodeus in particular had his eyes on Amaris, more so than usual.

"Good morning, Miss Delphi," Asmodeus greets.

"Hello, Asmodeus."

"You look lovely today."

Amaris gives a small smile, "Thank you, I -"

"So lovely that you're glowing, practically."

Amaris's stomach dips and her face falls.

"I...I'm sure I don't know what you mean."

Asmodeus gives a small smirk, "If you insist, my dear." He walks off.

Asmodeus makes his way to Merihem and snickers, "Merihem, you may need to inspect our dearest Amaris. She appears to have a...fever."

Merihem grins, "Hmmm..." He muses, "I can see it from here. Should we inform Balam?"

"Surely he knows too."

"But is it time for 'Chris' to know his possible next steps?"

Asmodeus nods, "Perhaps a separate meeting with Allocer is in order."

"I couldn't agree more."

As Amaris had gotten older, the council of demons would ask her and Chris questions together, then individually. They'd already asked Amaris their routine questions, now they were chatting with Chris.

"When does she turn eighteen?" Asmodeus asks.

"In three months."

All of the demons in the room look to each other, then back to Chris.

"As she nears adulthood, have the two of you experienced any...complications?" Merihem asks.

Chris furrows his eyebrows in confusion, "Um...no? If anything, we're closer now than ever. We get closer and closer every day."