𝟑𝟎| 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐒𝐞𝐜𝐫𝐞𝐭 𝐏𝐚𝐬𝐬𝐚𝐠𝐞𝐰𝐚𝐲𝐬

-𝐇𝐄𝐑-

Surprisingly or unsurprisingly, Filth started to be much nicer to me after I had given him that colorful tie. Though we still bickered otherwise I would be bored.

I soon got bored, actually. Even though I spent my sweet sweet time every morning getting dressed and doing my hair to feel and look good, I found that after that I didn't have much to do for the rest of the day.

I would try to read the books from the library but they never made any sense to me. It seemed like they weren't going to make sense to me anytime soon but I kept trying because I had so much time to kill.

I would wander around the house too and while doing so, one day, I found a secret passage in the house. I was baffled for a moment. First, I thought that there was just one of them but soon, I ended up finding more such passages that were linked to one another.

I spent my time exploring them for a day but the next day when I went there, Filth caught me and told me to stay away from them.

"Why? And would a house like this need secret passages?" I couldn't help but ask. In another situation, he would have glared at me as his only answer but this time, he grew a bit more patient with me.

"These aren't secret passages," To my surprise, he explained, "These are just the hallways that I use when I don't want to be seen by the guests," at first, I couldn't decide what surprised me more about his answer— the fact that he claimed this dreary house received guests or that being seen by guests was nothing less than a sin?

Then again, I was a guest to and I more than saw him. I was now more puzzled than ever.

"Why? What's wrong with you being seen to guests?" I asked.

"That's just a thing for the upper class," Filth muttered more to himself before he escorted me out of there and locked the door through which I had found my access there. He must have forgotten that I could pick locks because soon after that, I went back there, roaming those secret hallways.

It extended to the most surprising parts of the house. I found another way to go down to LEVEL 1 and while I was there, I heard something.

"Where are those screw gages?" The familiar voice of Mr. Night demanded.

"They were here, I am sure. I arranged them just a few months ago," Filth answered a bit urgently while I heard some shuffling around the place.

"You know how I loath it when I am not able to find things on time,"

"Yes, sir. I know, sir. I will find them now,"

"And are you done draining the precipitation that I gave you this morning?" Mr. Night demanded.

"Yes, sir. I am doing it simultaneously," Filth answered, sounding out of breath.

"And are you done cleaning the oil from the engine?"

"That's being done too, sir,"

"And what about the shipment that I told you to pick from the port today?" Mr. Night demanded next. There was silence.

A grave silence.

"Watson?" Mr. Night demanded.

"Yes sir,"

"I asked you about the shipment,"

"I— I will go this afternoon, sir,"

"So that they could have their time looking through my belongings?" Mr. Night shot back a bit impatiently. Filth remained silent, "I hope you do understand how valuable those things are to me,"

"Yes, sir. I do,"

"You do realize the consequences if they realize that I have it shipped to London?"

"Yes, sir. I do,"

"Then I hope you know what happens if they get their hands on it," Mr. Night pressed. I didn't know how Filth managed to stay so calm even after Mr. Night was putting so much pressure on him. If I were in his place, I would have started cursing out loud at that one hell of a man.

"I... I do, sir," Filth answered anxiously.

"Then what should you be doing now?" Mr. Night asked grimly.

"I have to go to the port to collect those shipments,"

"Then who will find the screw gage for me? Do you want me to wait until you return?" Mr. Night asked with a venomous clam. My heart was racing just by listening to their interaction. I was starting to feel a bit of pity for Filth.

"I..." Filth trailed off for a moment. There was a momentary silence before he spoke, "I will leave now to collect your shipment, sir. I realize it's more important to you,"

"So you want me to find the screw gage?" Mr. Night asked with the same venomous calm. It had a shiver running down the length of my spine.

"No, sir. You don't need to find them... I was thinking of asking her to do it," Filth spoke a bit hesitantly. My heart threatened to leap out of my chest when I realized that they were talking about me.

"Ophelia?" Mr. Night asked softly. The way my name rolled out of his lips, it sounded like the melodious chime of wind, making my toes curl. I was tempted to just barge in there but I didn't.

"Yes, sir. She doesn't have much to do. I am sure she will be able to find them in no time and... maybe, re-arrange this place?" Filth suggested with precaution. Silence followed his words.

"You're leaving for the port now," Mr. Night commanded Filth. I instantly knew what that meant. Without wasting a second, I raced back to the second floor before sneaking back into my room.

I was breathless as I perched myself on my bed and pretended to be reading a book. Shortly after I had snuck back into my room there was a knock on my door. I knew it was Mr. Night because of the way he knocked.

"Come in," I answered, fighting down my excitement. The door opened slowly to reveal the man I had been waiting for. His dark gaze burned like the sun on my skin as he stepped inside my room. I was seeing him after days. My stomach dipped when his eyes darkened significantly after they swept from my head to toe.

"Good morning, Mr. Night," I chirped. He nodded, "Is there something that you need?" I asked innocently.

"Yes," He answered, "Your service in LEVEL 1 again,"

"How wonderful," I smiled at him sweetly.

_

Author's Note:

Vote. Comment. Share. Follow me

You could read up to chapter 35 on Patreon. The link is in my bio.

Updating schedule — Wednesday, Saturday

Social media
Instagram- authorritz
Facebook- Benita Ritz
Twitter- BenitaRitz

Song above — Lana Del Rey - Gods and Monsters 
(Click on the link in my bio for my Playlist)

Thanks for reading ♥︎