28

"tonight's the night." ginny said excitedly across the room.

"i know gin, you've said that five times already." briar groaned tiredly.

tonight was the night of the ball and briar felt like it was taking forever till the ball would actually start.

she was beyond nervous, and ginny reminding her every five minutes wasnt helping her nerves.

it wasn't the ball itself that scared her, it was who she was going with.

it wasn't exactly new news that they had a little make out session at the that party.

but they hadn't talked about it since, and it felt like a dream, very foreign.

the ball started at 8.

it was currently 5:30.

she had a whole plan for getting ready, she was going to shower at six, shave, make sure she smelled good, and wash her hair.

and that usually took a while so she figured about thirty to forty minutes to get everything done in the shower, plus the extra maybe, ten minutes? she would spend just soaking in the warm water, in no attempt to actually clean herself.

then it would be almost seven, which meant the actual preparation time and helping/waiting for ginny and luna to be ready too.

and lastly showing up fashionably late after altering herself to her liking.

ginny explained that she was going to go in and out of the room while getting ready.

she felt bad because hermione had asked her to help her get ready also, but ginny had already planned to do so with luna and briar.

so, she would go back and fourth between the rooms, twice maybe?

luna and briar didn't mind, they had each other.

everyone was sitting in the common room, briar, luna, who snuck over, ginny, and neville.

briar was on the couch sprawled out reading one of the books ron gave her for christmas the year before.

ginny was now trying to keep her mind off the ball by playing little hand games with luna.

and neville was focusing on a piece of parchment, stressfully.

just then, the trio walked into the common room, after being who knows where.

ron swiftly threw briar's legs, which were laying in front of her on the couch cushions, to the side, making room for him to sit next to her.

she got startled, not noticing them enter, but didn't argue when she noticed who did it.

once he had sat down next to her, she took her legs and swung them back onto the couch, overtop ron's legs.

he smiled slightly when he saw her legs laying on top of his, like they were before, in the same place, in the same room.

without hesitation, he laid his hands on her knees.

hermione noticed this small gesture, she swallowed her pride, and looked towards luna and ginny's little game of 'can i hit your hands before you move your hands away'.

briar could already feel the butterflies fluttering around in her stomach.

trying to ignore them, she turned her head to neville.

"what's wrong nev?"

he looked up at her, surprised she asked him what was wrong.

it was obvious he didn't get asked that a lot.

"i'm just confused on this part in my herbology homework." he answered shyly.

"isn't that supposed to be like, your specialty." ron joked, to which harry stifled a laugh.

briar turned her head towards ron and shot him an annoyed look before turning back to neville.

ron noticed her look of anger and cleared his throat.

"just because, you're like, very good at that subject." he said, trying to cover up his mistake.

she of course noticed, he was sitting barely an inch away from her, and rolled her eyes at his lame attempt to redeem himself.

"what's the question?" ginny asked, deriving her attention from luna.

neville went on to explain the question as briar shoved ron's shoulder.

"ouch! what was that for?!" he asked as his voice cracked slightly.

"don't play dumb," she huffed, "i knew what you meant with that little comment towards neville."

he rubbed his shoulder slowly and creased his eyebrows, "oh, come on, it was only a joke bri."

she eased up when she heard his nickname for her.

she couldn't seem to stay mad at him when he called her that.

when she didn't answer, he continued, "it was just a joke, honest."

she looked at him, squinting her eyes, "don't do it again."

"i won't." he smiled as he held up his pointer, middle, and ring finger together while pressing his thumb to his bent pinky, "scouts honor."

"how do you know what that is?" she asked, not being able to stop the smile from breaking out on her face.

"harry taught me it." he shrugged.

he looked so clueless and like he didn't have a care in the world.

it only made her want to kiss him even more than she wanted to when he first got there.

she was stuck, surveying his face, when ginny took her attention away from him, telling her they should start get ready now.

briar nodded and pulled her legs off of ron.

she didn't want to leave the position she was in with him, in fact, she wanted to stay there as long as she possibly could.

but, she forced herself off of him and trudged up the stairs.

before she left the common room, she bent down and whispered in his ear,

"i'll see you tonight."

briar is hot idgaf