Chapter Three-An Unexpected Visitor

We darted through the abandoned suburban areas of Alkia. The city our "hero" parents left us in when they went to go fight the monsters. Once we got to the fields, there would be rabbits. In my mind I silently curse my parents for placing me in a situation where I lived in an orphanage for three years, and have needed to hunt for my food in the following five years. Why couldn't they just run away with us? Then Eden and Audrey would still be alive!

Audrey...

My mind started wandering to places I didn't want it to go and I quickly shut down my thoughts. Continuing to focus on treading silently through the town.

Ev and I darted from abandoned house to abandoned house, always staying in the shadows to remain unseen. Not walking along the wide dirt road for fear of being exposed to ariel predators.

We skirted the yards watching out for Chu-mies that could be hiding in the overwhelming foliage. Chu-mies are little monsters that look like blobs of jelly and jump up and down. They can't do much damage on their own, but in large groups they can completely overwhelm and devour even the most skilled swordsman.

I heard a rustling next to me and quickly whipped around in alarm, fearing the worst, and preparing for an attack. It was just Ev. I breathed a sigh of relief as my eyes faded back to green and I returned my half-drawn sword into its scabbard.

"Be quiet or more than just Chu-mies will find us!" I whispered intensely, while motioning for us to keep moving forward.

That's when I froze. I can only imagine what it must have looked like to Ev, me stiffening up and stopping in my tracks. Ev wondering if she had caused this. As Mac's sister, she too has water powers. Only hers are in the form of ice. She only got her powers three years ago, so there are still some abilities that have not emerged from her yet. But it wasn't Ev freezing my blood. I stopped by myself because I smelled something. My powers heightened my senses, making me an important asset to our little group. Also meaning I was good on hunts to sniff out prey, as well as protect from potential threats.

Ev silently slipped her daggers out of her sleeves and palmed them, but I motioned for her to stop. This was not a monster I smelled. This was something I had rarely come across in the past five years.

An unfamiliar human.

While the scent was disguised by monster poop, my sharp nose picked it out easily.

Ev was still staring at me when I started moving, heading slightly back the way we came. Slipping through the shadows, Ev and I eventually came upon the source of the scent. I could almost feel it wafting through the broken windows and unhinged door of the abandoned cottage. Anyone else would just assume that a monster had taken a dump here, but I knew there was more to this house than smelly monster poop.

I bent down to feel the ground for Toldoss vibrations. Toldoss are pretty much giant lizard-moles. They burrow in the ground to get around and many who see them only see their jaws snapping up from the ground to devour their companions. Toldoss have almost crocodilian like heads and enormous teeth on pointed snouts. Their sleek scaled bodies give them easy maneuverability in their tight tunnels. Their long claws are exemplary digging machines, and their tails are perfect for pushing the dirt out behind them.

But I didn't feel anything. In fact, I didn't hear anything either. No birds chirping. No insects buzzing. No mice foraging. Everything was dead quiet.

I looked toward Ev and gave her a hesitant "all clear" signal. She then reluctantly slid up the porch and opened the door.

What we saw inside wasn't much of a surprise. Tipped over furniture, broken glass, dust on every surface, rotted out holes in the floor, ceiling and walls. There was only one disturbance in the abandoned cottage. It was easy to see the human footprints in the dust.

Ev and I looked to each other with concerned expressions. Her green eyes glittering with unease. Someone was definitely here. The footprints looked like they had been dragged across the house, like this person's foot had been a burden instead of a tool. Only a truly exhausted person would walk like that. I took the initiative to follow the prints, my claws at the ready along with Ev's daggers. I told her to bring the bow in hopes she would finally abandon the useless short range knives, but it appears she prefers the daggers in tense situations. I was in no mood to correct her either.

We walked through what looked to previously have been a living room and kitchen. Ev and I reached a hallway of doors with the footprints leading to the first room on the right. The monster poop stench was overwhelmingly strong to my sensitive nose when I carefully opened the door and stepped into the room. That was when I saw the sleeping figure of a young girl laying on the ground. I froze in my tracks. I knew this girl. She was someone I thought I'd never see again.

Ev stepped in behind me and let out a small gasp. I knew she recognized her also. Then she whispered a single word. A word which had brought me great sorrow for the past five years.

"Audrey?"

well isn't this fun!

i did say i would be updating this more regularly, and here we are!

what are your guys' thoughts on this chapter? how could i make it better?

i will explain who Audrey is in the next chapter, don't worry about that ;) (SPOILER ALERT: she's a family member!)

this is another short chapter, but i promise they get longer!

word count: 1002 

!!DON'T FORGET TO VOTE!!

have a lovely rest of your day (or night) and i'll talk to you all soon!