Chapter Five-Ice Rink

I whipped around towards Ev's shrieks. From the porch, I couldn't see Ev or anything inside the house. I quickly set Audrey down. As my hands touched the wood underneath Audrey's limp body, I felt many big stomping feet, and heard the exhaling of breath from multiple large creatures. But it was the snorting that allowed me to identify the monster.

I cursed and ran inside. Seeing Ev surrounded by at least seven Bonnacons. Bonnacons are large muscled creatures with dark orange leathery skin and blue markings painted all over them. Their defining features, however, are their enormous pig snouts and big floppy ears. They wear no clothing other than a brown loincloth.

Assessing their weapons, I saw six clubs and one bow. That's odd I thought. Although in an enclosed ambush spot like this, their weapons of choice made sense, seeing as there wasn't much room to shoot a bow inside.

The Bonnacons were closing in on Ev rapidly. Yet, every time one attempted to touch her, she would freeze its hand in a block of ice. I had to be quick. Soon they would be close enough to hit us with their clubs.

I shouted, "Ev! Just like we practiced! Ice rink and toss!"

A look of understanding came over her immediately as she remembered our training. She bent down and touched the floor. Quicker than the Bonnacons could move, Ice branched out across the rotting wood until the whole room was one big ice rink.

As the Bonnacons were trying to balance, Ev tossed me her bow and quiver. I caught them and slid them across the icy ground to rest next to the door. Just as we practiced she used her power, attaching ice ridges to our shoes and turning them into skates. My eyes turned violet as I drew my sword and beheaded the Bonnacon holding a bow.

As the monsters regained their footing enough to stand, I brandished my sword, while Ev wielded her daggers. We gracefully skated around the room slashing and stabbing when we could in a cruel dance of steel. Our legs and arms were splattered with red Bonnacon blood, as we brought down one more monster and injured others.

My boot suddenly ran into the leg of an armchair, causing the ice ridge to break. I stumbled and caught myself on a tipped over table. Ev saw me trip and cursed, She made a few wild gestures in my direction and in less than five seconds my skate was repaired.

Yet every second is critical in battle, and we could never get those seconds back.

A Bonnacon loomed over Ev from behind, preparing to smash his club down on her head. Knowing there was nothing else I could do, I yelled while drawing in a big breath and then exhaled enough smoke to fill the room. I knew that Ev took advantage of the diversion I created because I heard her skates pushing off the ice. A second later, she screamed in agony.

"Ev!" I yelled.

Now I was pissed. Despite not being able to see anything because of the smoke, I shot out toward where I thought was the middle of the room. My senses heightened to the point of breaking. My powers helped me see through the smoke a little as it dispersed. I heard four Bonnacons sneaking up on me. Their large weathered feet cracking and fracturing the wood and ice.

Once they were close enough Instinct took over and I crouched down and spun. I felt a heavy weight suddenly attach to my tailbone. I didn't stop or stumble, and instead felt a new powerful energy coursing through me. I then heard and felt all four Bonnacons smack into the weight on my backside. There was a loud CRASH as they fell to the ground, where they remained, unmoving.

It all happened so fast. I stood up in a clear circle of smoke and saw a scaled dragon tail sprouting from my hips. I'd never grown a tail before. I was so interested and amazed at the new part of my powers, that I forgot about the last Bonnacon as it snuck up behind me. Ev saw it first and frantically yelled, "Watch out!"

By the time I turned around, it was too late. With my heavy, unfamiliar tail attached to me, I couldn't maneuver around fast enough to block the attack and had dropped my sword when Ev got hurt.

I tensed my body as I prepared for the force of the blow. That's when I heard the twang of a bow string and saw the tip of an arrow appear in the forehead of the Bonnacon that had been about to crush me. I turned back toward where the arrow had originated from as the bonnacon body slumped to the floor and caught sight of an exhausted Audrey, dropping Ev's bow in the doorway before falling to the ground.

another shorter chapter, but i really like it!

lmk what you thought and make sure to give me feedback on what i can make better!

its pretty late so i didn't put as much effort into this as i probably should have, but oh well.

i'll post chapter 6 tomorrow (oh mah gawd, three days in a row!?) so keep notifications on for that!

as always !!MAKE SURE TO VOTE!!

word count: 887