Chapter 39 - Haze

Katanas POV

"I hate talking about feelings. It makes me feel weak. But I know that I'd rather feel weak now and let you know, than you dying without me ever telling you..." he looked back at the sky.

"Ever since we were kids, you'd make me feel so... alive. But at the same time safe. I never told you this but I actually met your dad once, when I was 4 years old." I looked at him when he said that.

"I was on a walk with my mom and he came flying from the sky with juice boxes in his hands. We were at a park and he ran towards the swings where a happy little girl greeted him. You." I looked away again.

"Before he went over there, he saw my reaction of seeing him. So he knelt down and gave me one of the juice boxes and patted me on the head saying-"

"Every kid deserves a juice box..." we said in unison and I smiled slightly.

"A week later I met you and so began the rest of our lives. Never in a million years did I think you'd mean so much to me, especially when we started high school." he squeezed my hand and gently pushed my head to the side, facing him.

"With both of us in the hero course, we were competitive as hell. You'd make me so mad sometimes. Then I grew to love it... You pushed me to become better. But you still drove me crazy and I hated it." he cupped my cheek.

"...and the moment I realised how much I needed you by my side and was going to say something... was the moment you got taken away from me. I still don't know what they did to you but you're here 5 years later..." he stroked my cheek with his thumb soothingly, trying to keep it together for the both of us.

"And if I'm talking to the old Zella right now, I think I owe it to 16 year old me to tell you this to your face." he scooted closer to me, still keeping his hand in the same place as he stared into my eyes.

"I am so, so sorry for not saving you or doing anything..." tears were starting to run down his face as my own were forming.

I grabbed his hand that was on my face and held it tightly, reassuring him it was okay.

"Your dad inspired me to become a hero... but you're the one who made me want to save people. I failed someone who meant a lot to me, no one was ever going to feel that pain I felt. Never. A-and you don't have to say it back but..." he leaned in and kept eye contact, even though it was hard to see because of the tears.

"...I love you." he said and sighed, like a huge weight had been lifted off his chest.

I scooted over and sat on his lap, hands around his neck. I couldn't bring to myself to say anything, I was madly in love with him growing up and never once did I realise it... not until we parted ways.

I realised a lot of things back then. Including the love I had for another boy as well...

He leaned in even closer, lips brushing each other. If this was from 16 year old me, I wouldn't hesitate to kiss him.

So I didn't.

I crashed my lips onto his in a sweet and longing kiss. He pulled me closer by the waist and deepened it. Like it was the first and last time he would do this. I could stay like this forever...