13. The Girl Who Saves Werewolves - Part 2

Yes, it's definitely time to talk about the birds. They are the very reason I became who I am today. And no, I'm not talking about those flying feather creatures. I am talking about ravens.

After meeting that Fay woman and encountering the strange pale woman, nothing special happened while I stayed in New York. I have to admit I was a little disappointed. I felt like I had nearly stepped into a Narnia-like world and it made me want to experience it more.

But there was no time for Narnia as I hopped on a plane and flew back home. My mom and dad were waiting for me with a cardboard sign welcoming me home. I couldn't stop my eyes from rolling. A welcome hug would've been enough.

"Hey kiddo," I could hear dad's smile though my face was smashed against his neck as he bear-hugged me.

"Hey dad," I smiled too.

Mom waited for her turn. Showing affection wasn't as easy for her as it was for my dad. So as I noticed her teary eyes, I was caught off guard.

"I'm glad you're home," she whispered and caressed my cheek with her thumb. I had to swallow hard before I was able to reply. Well, all I could do was nod.

Wamego, Kansas. Home sweet home. Nothing seemed to have changed while my adventures abroad. Even our fence needed a new coat of paint, just as it had before my departure.

"Still no paint?" I giggled as dad parked the car in front of our garage. 

"It will never be painted," mom said dryly.

"It will be painted," dad corrected her.

"It could be painted if you'd call someone to do it."

"I will not pay someone to do it."

"So it will not be painted in another year."

"It will be painted."

Yep, nothing had changed. Even this conversation was the same they'd had several times. Mom sighed and turned to look at me from the front seat.

"Are you hungry?" she asked.

I loved that question. It meant there was something delicious waiting for me in the kitchen.

"Starving."

Dad helped me carry my bags upstairs to my room after dinner. Delicious dinner, I must add. Somtam papaya salad with fried chicken and sticky rice.

"Lucy," he said before exiting my room.

"Yeah?"

"I'm glad too that you're home," he smiled.

"Me too," I smiled.

He closed the door. My room, filled with my books. It felt so cozy and familiar. This was my kingdom. My safe space. I stepped closer to my bookshelf and let my finger run through the row of Brontes, Austen, and Gaskell. I had missed my heroes. As I moved on to another row and my finger touched my beloved The Chronicles of Narnia, my chest felt tight and air escaped my lungs. I recognized the feeling, but it still scared the living ef out of me, when I realized I was not alone in my room.

Slowly I turned around.

Right at the door stood a woman - the pale woman.

I opened my mouth to scream, but not a sound came out of me. I tried to move, but my legs wouldn't move an inch. All I could do was stare into the pale woman's emotionless eyes. My vision started to get blurry.

"I can't breathe!" I thought as I franticly tried to inhale. With my eyes, I tried to beg her to stop whatever she was doing, but never in my life had I ever met anyone who was less affected by my discomfort.

"Tell Fay she can never outsmart Harriet," the woman spoke. Her hollow voice somehow managed to hurt my ears, though it was a mere whisper.

She walked out of my room. I didn't hear her footsteps and I guess neither did my parents. I found myself on the floor when I was finally able to breathe again.