Chapter 4

Hell. It would be hell. He’d had to protect Ed.

He didn’t have any other choice.

“ Oswald you can’t just- I can’t- I-” Ed can’t finish his sentence, squeezing his eyes shut. Oswald thumbs his cheek gently, the repetitive motion easy to focus on. Ed needs you. Don’t think about the pain, think about Ed . You can do that.

“Ed, it's okay, I’m okay,” Oswald murmurs, clenching his teeth as a new wave of pain washes through him.

“What if you weren’t ?”

Ed’s eyes flash, pain and fear swirling in them like clouds. “Do you have any idea what losing you would do to me? I need you, Oswald. Baby, I was so scared-” His voice cracks and a pained whimper escapes his throat, and Oswald can’t not pull him back in for another hug, shushing him quietly.

This is not the time, but Oswald can’t find it in him to care. They will make time. They’ll have to pry Edward from his cold, dead hands.

“I know, I’m sorry, I love you,” Oswald whispers, rubbing Ed’s back with his free hand. They will make it through this. They have to.

-

After another beat of silence, Oswald speaks again. “You know that I’ll never stop fighting for you? That I’d tear apart the city for you and burn it all down to the ground? I’m alright, I promise. It’s going to take a lot more than a mere grenade to take down the Penguin and his Riddler.”

Ed lets out a watery laugh and squeezes him closer. “I love you, Oswald. Don’t scare me like that again.”

“I’ll try not to, my love.”

They stay locked in their embrace, unwilling to let go of each other. Before long, Ed straightens up, clearing his throat. He wipes his eyes and fixes his bowler hat, eyes lit with a new fire; Oswald can see right through him, can see the fear that still hides behind his stubborn determination and sheer will to get them both out of there alive, but he can also see that wonderful confidence and spark that he fell in love with. He feels it too. They will make it out of this place.