Prologue - The Overlord Arrives

Within the icy lands of the south pole, a large skeleton was laying in a thick pile of snow as his raven-black robes fluttered elegantly in the wind. His bony fingers were adorned with beautiful jewellery that glistened under the vibrant sunlight, elevating the monster's elegance. The sockets in the creature's skull contained a total of three cracks that expanded across the bare cheek, and a set of deathly sharp teeth that could easily chew through flesh as if it were paper.

If someone were to come across this pile of bones, they would rightfully assume it to be a corpse from an old shaman who died during the war, or perhaps a village elder from the northern water tribe who got lost during an expedition

If someone were to come across this pile of bones, they would rightfully assume it to be a corpse from an old shaman who died during the war, or perhaps a village elder from the northern water tribe who got lost during an expedition. However, this seemingly-dead humanoid was actually an undead Overlord; the highest ranking form of undead within the realm of YGGDRASIL.

After a few minutes of silence, the skeleton's eyes began to glow an ominous crimson red before he quickly sat up in the pile of ice and snow, cracking the joints of his bones in the process. The strange undead began shifting his gaze towards the expansive land of ice before scratching the back of his skull in bemusement. This skeleton was Momonga, Guild Master of the Great Tomb of Nazarick.

Momonga: "Uh...where the hell am I? How did I end up here?!"

The undead continued searching the area whilst grasping at the sleet beneath him, as if attempting to find comfort in the cloud-like sensation he received from touching the snow. Eventually, Momonga managed to pull himself together and stood up from the ground, stretched his spine and grasped a golden staff that lay upon the snow; the Staff of Ainz Ooal Gown.

The staff was a powerful magical item that signified the efforts of the Guild of Ainz Ooal Gown. As such, Momonga cherished the item dearly and always tried to keep it safe from the horrible clutches of others who may wish to take the mysterious item for its immense power and control over the elements. The overlord placed the Staff of Ainz Ooal Gown in his personal storage area/pocket dimension before continuing his search for civilisation.

Momonga: Last thing I remember is waiting in Nazarick's Throne Room for the servers to shut down, yet now I'm in an unknown land surrounded by snow! Perhaps I should expand my search for other people.

Without wasting another second, Momonga quickly cast [Flight] using his magic and took off into the sky, desperately attempting to discover where he was and if there was anyone else around who could assist him. Mere moments after beginning his travels, Momonga noticed a large beam of light travel upwards toward the heavens, instantly catching the undead's attention.

Momonga: "Well, if civilisation is anywhere, it would definitely be over in that direction."

With his final destination chosen, the skeletal overlord took off towards the mysterious source of light with the hopes of finding someone to talk to. Little did he know that this choice would change his life forever, and mainly for the better...