Prologue

An eerie wind raced through the burnt trees, the ground covered by ashes. He walked through the devastation without a hint of emotion on his face, despite what he felt within. He remained cold, his lips set into a thin line, and his eyes pools of emotionless gold. His bare chest was covered in a shine from his sweat and patches of his victims' blood, his tattoos barely noticeable among the dirt. Looking around, he wanted to mourn for his victims, his hands shaking as the agony coursed through his veins.

"Why did you make me do this?" He questioned the men behind him, their bodies clothed in dark suits.

One stepped forward and placed his hand on his shoulder, giving him a tight squeeze. "If you want to remain in control, Orpheus, you mustn't take any rebellion lightly. They wanted to challenge our armies, and we gave them what they asked for."

"But there were innocent children."

"War holds no mercy for anyone. Just like it hadn't held any for your parents when violence fell upon them."

Clenching his jaw, he shook the man's hand off of him, disgusted by himself and his so-called leaders. Lifting his chin, he looked towards the sky as the rain began to fall, drumming against his stained face. He didn't want to see the destruction anymore; he didn't want to see their lifeless bodies lying on the ground. He closed his eyes, trying to push nausea aside as he turned towards the forest.

"When will you do your own dirty work, Aemilius?" He hissed. "Why continue to drag me out here, destroying homes while you watch on? You're sick."

Aemilius smirked as he turned towards Orpheus, his eyes sparkling with calm anger, "Remember who took you in when your parents died, Orpheus. If it weren't for my father, then you and Cora would be dead and your pack under our guidance permanently."

"Like you would have allowed Cora to wither away," Orpheus scoffed. "She'll never escape you that easily."

"Unfortunately, as long as you live, Cora will always be out of my reach. Maybe once my father passes his title to me, I'll be able to claim her as mine. After all, she was promised to me when my father had found you."

Orpheus clenched his fists as he refrained from lunging at the young Lycan, knowing the punishment wouldn't be worth the satisfaction. Besides, he had to keep his sister safe, away from the insane wolf.

"Just because your father agreed she would suit you as a wife doesn't mean she's yours. It's her choice whether she wants to marry you or not."

Aemilius let out a dark laugh as he walked past the seething Alpha, "For now."

He motioned for the other men to follow as they gathered their horses, turning their backs on Orpheus. He quietly watched as they galloped off into the forest's shadows, disappearing from his sight. Shaking his head, he looked at his shoes, blinking his tears away as he sent a silent prayer to their goddess.

"I'm so sorry," he murmured. "One day, their empire will fall, I promise."

And I'll be the one to rise from their ashes.