Chapter 4 - 'All In'

Mortimer wasn't expecting this day to be like this, to say the least.

He wasn't expecting for the 'Is Hjarta' to be hacked and rerouted to MIRA HQ. Neither that he'd see that this happened to everyone else in the fleet. He couldn't even, not even in his wildest depths of his imagination, dream of seeing an honest-to-Goddess Alien Race turn up. Nor could he ever have anticipated that one of his own crew actually was technically an alien too...

And The very LAST thing he ever wanted to do today was stand in front of MIRA's board of directors -which were his bosses- and plead against an act of harboring Xenomorphic life on his ship. He knew that if he lost, he'd have evberyone on his ship thrown out of the company and into exile... worse, he was also risking Blue's Life as well.

And, as he stood before the large wooden oval, with several muted-toned Crewmates Staring Straight at him, he looked around to see Blue standing in a glass-like tube with handcuffs and ankle cuffs, looking on at him in confusion and concern.

Yep. This WASN'T His best day at work in a long time, and that's putting it lightly.

"Right." An Ivory Cremate with a pair of reading glasses then said imposingly. "You are BLA:P0, full name Mortimer William Smith, with the Title of Honour Captain of the Ship 'Is Hjarta'?"

"Yes, Ma'am." he Replied. He was threading a very fine needle here. He knew he had no other choice, and decided to keep every single thought and feeling locked deep inside, no matter how much it hurt.

"So, to settle this, Will the Instigator come forward and act as the Arbiter?" Another Crewmate with Slate-Green skin then said with a deep voice.

"Yes, sir." A voice then came out and a Grey Cremate with a combed-back mohawk and a mask around part of his visor then said as he stepped forward. Mortimer had to literally restrain himself to stay still looking forward and not turn back.

"Okay." The Ivory Cremate then said to the grey figure. "You are GRA:P0, Full name Xavier Calvin Paddington, with the Title Wing Commander, current captain of the Ship 'Exodus'?"

"Yes, Ma'am." he said confidently. Mortimer was feeling very, very concerned. Xavier was a lot more experienced than he was, and knew how to behave in these situations. He was going up against somewone who knew exactly what they were doing, and he couldn't find out how he could possibly win...

"Next Order of Service: The Case presented. It Appears that there is a contempt to harbor Xenobiologics by the accuseed Defendant. However, since we are a democratic and fair institution, we will hear what the defendant has to say for himself.

So, Mortimer? You may speak in defence."

Mortimer then cleared his throat. "Thank you. If I may Speak Frankly, Blue has been with the crew of the 'Is Hjarta' for nearly 6 years. I was only drafted in five years ago as an apprentice to General Phillip, the original Captain of the Ship- I mean.. the First."

The Board then looked at each other and murmured a few things. One of the group, a Caramel Brown Crewmate then straightened some loose papers on his desk and then said "And?"

Mortimer then continued "...Well, She wasn't mine to hire, It was Phillip who put her as a resident on the ship's roster. I was not a participant in the descision, and only claimed ownership of the roster upon his death."

"And?"

Pause. "Blue has been a valuable member nonetheless, she may be a bit, daresay, scatterbrained, but she's honest and intelligent. She would never betray anyone, as it's not in her nature!"

"And?"

Long Pause. Mortimer then slammed a fist down, at breaking point but still calm. "You want a confession? I'm giving it to you. Please, Xavier... If at most, Let ME trade MY life for hers. She isn't a dangerous threat like the impostors of old! Please, let me take the blame, and let everyone go... if at worst, just exile the crew."