two

As Shawn and I pulled up to school I prayed that today would be the day that we could find a parking spot. While he's talented at dribbling a ball he couldn't be worse at parallel parking. I would think that a driving class and many hours of lessons would teach him that and yet he's probably left more apology notes on people's windshields than actually making it into those bright yellow lines.

After waiting so long to find Rick, we made it to school a bit later than usual and if anyone knows anything about being at this school it's that when it comes to parking spots it's all first come first serve. So of course, while we dodged having to make another 'I'm sorry I dented your door' letter, we ended up parking in the back of the school. But I don't mind since it's near the girl's bathroom and surely Anna would be trying to fix her makeup in the dirty mirrors.

"Hey, Sky?" Shawn interjected my thoughts.

"Yeah, what's up?"

He looked nervous which was only something that you could tell if you'd known him for a while. Shawn wasn't the best at feelings and I'm sure if it was a class here, he'd fail.

"With this being my last year here, I started thinking about college and my life after school and while I love it here, I was thinking about going farther up north. Maybe New York or California. I get that this was random but I was just running it by you since you'd probably be one of the only people that could give a shit," he said the last part with a sad smile. Although he was trying to make it sound much lighter than it actually was.

I pretended not to notice his uneasiness about his confession as I decided to reassure him of his decision.

"I think that's great Shaw. Anything that makes you happy would be great and while this place is pretty cool and all, you'll be just fine no matter where you go."

"You know for the little sister here, you sure do give some big brother support," he smiled before getting his bag to make his way to the gym most likely. I followed his lead making my way toward the bathroom.

I had been thinking about how next year Shawn would be in college, which he was really excited about and so was everyone else.

Was.

It wasn't the best feeling having to carry all the excitement of a big moment like college. Sure he had his friends and my friends but family meant a lot to him even if he doesn't exactly say it.

But what I wanted to know was what school he was thinking of going to for college since he'll be going so soon. I never really talked to him about it. It seemed like so many things have been on our plates since last year.  I don't think he's even told Rick about it. Along with being a mess and an alcoholic he's inherited a temper.

I'd be lying if I said it didn't worry me sometimes but as long as I don't go too far arguments won't happen. It's not the ideal situation but it's what I've got and that's okay.

"God, why is applying blush so hard? Screw the person who decided that blush is cute."

"I don't know, Anna. I think the blush is adorable," she turns in my direction facing the doorway to reveal her blushed cheeks along with the rest of her makeup she probably put on once she got here. Anna's parents are strict about her appearance and feel as though their "little girl" shouldn't indulge in anything that could make her appear to be a woman quite yet.

As for Anna's thoughts about it all: fuck it and fuck their opinions.

Her 4'11 feistiness and independent mindset weren't gonna allow just anybody, which includes her parents, to make decisions on what she does and how she does it. But her desire to make her parents happy interferes with that often which is why she's always in the girl's bathroom the minute school opens to apply her makeup and switch into whatever outfit she also wasn't allowed to wear.