Chapter 4 - Remembering the Past

Thud, thud, thud, the sound and rhythm of the rubber ball thrown against the wall kept Maddy distracted in her thoughts. She had been kept a prisoner in this suite for four years now. She took out the photo that Ava had slipped into her pocket with her rubber ball. A photo of her and Ava in the park. It was taken in the beginning when she would take Ava outside of AVACorp to monitor her interaction with others.

The sound of the door startled her, bringing her out of her thoughts, interrupting her memory of the last time she saw Ava. An AVA clone entered. An AVA clone that was now in charge of the facility since Bishop and Nurse Ava had left. She entered the room. "Maddy, I have been given instructions from Nurse Ava. Bishop is dead and she is releasing you from here. She left these instructions for you to join her on Bishop's planet. She said you would know how to get there."

"That's it, I'm just free to walk out of here after all this time?" "That's it, now that Bishop is dead we will no longer hold you a prisoner here. You are free to go. Here are the instructions Nurse Ava gave me." Maddy needed a ship to get to this planet and she knew where there was one waiting for her.

She stood outside Cam's place knocking on the door, waiting for a response. The door opened, Cam happy to see Maddy threw her arms around her. "How did you get out of AVACorp, they've had that place shut up tightly since they took you and Ava." "They said Bishop was dead and that I was now free to go. I've been given instructions to see Nurse Ava on a planet where Bishop set up a new lab." "Well I made the modifications to the aircraft and each flight has been successful. You have a working time ship. I've tested it and it will take you wherever you need to go, in time and in space." "Thank you Cam, thank you for this."

Maddy put in the coordinates that Nurse Ava left for her, taking her to this planet of Bishops'. When she landed she was greeted with Nurse Ava and the AVA soldiers. "Nurse Ava, this is where you've been since you and Bishop left? He told me he would never release me." "Well Bishop said that you would never be released while he was alive and now he's not alive." Nurse Ava explained to Maddy all the experiments Bishop had been conducting on this planet with the aliens. She explained how Bishop was cloning himself and how he was killed.

"This woman, Sara Lance, she worked with Rip Hunter, she helped us break free from Bishop. She also has an AVA who is her girlfriend, the AVA Rip took, your Ava. We have Sara's body here, she was stung by a Zagaron. We don't have a cure for that poison so Bishop cloned her." Nurse Ava took Maddy into the lab, showing her Sara Lance's former body. "We put her body into stasis while I've been working on a cure for the Zagaron sting. I think I'm getting close to bringing her back to life. I can still tap into her memories without cloning her. This might help you find where Sara's gone, if you follow her you'll find your Ava."

Nurse Ava was able to retrieve Sara's memories from when she had been abducted in Kayla's ship. Maddy accessed those memories of Sara Lance from the moment she had been kidnapped. She felt she had enough information to be able to track down where they were. "Bishop had us put a tracker on Kayla's ship while we were still under his authority, we've been keeping an eye on where they've been going. It landed at an estate in Northumberland, England in 2021."

"Thanks Nurse Ava, you made my time in the cells bearable. It was never the same when you left." "I'm just sorry that we kept obeying him for so long when we didn't have to. We want to make things right." Nurse Ava pulled out a chip from her pocket handing it to Maddy. "This is Ava's memory chip, I had her memories downloaded before Rip could erase them completely. Now there's just one more thing. Bishop stuck to his word of not harming you and he never cloned you either, I just thought you should know. Good luck with your search. I hope you find her." "Thanks Nurse Ava."

Although Maddy located Kayla's ship at an English address, there was no one there and she had an idea of where The Legends may have gone. She went back to the place where Sara had been taken. She waited in the shadows and to her surprise, she saw her. Her Ava. Maddy knew in her heart that was her Ava. But Ava was with someone else now. She watched on from a distance, she watched Sara getting down on one knee. She knew what this meant, she felt her heart sink. Ava was no longer her Ava. Would Ava feel differently if she remembered her past? Maddy wrestled with her own conscience. She had seen Sara's memories since she had been kidnapped. Maddy knew in her heart that Sara and Ava belonged together. What she wasn't sure about was whether to just walk away. Rip had implanted false memories to Ava. Surely Ava deserved to know the truth of her life in 2213. Maddy felt sick to her stomach, she couldn't bear to leave just yet. Every moment she spent in her cell she never stopped thinking about Ava.