Prologue - Yes

Beginning 1942, two years into World War II.

"Mr. Stark was very impressed with your work, Miss Morgan. He wasn't very hopeful when he first began reading the applications, but he found what you did with the high-powered automobile engine rather intriguing. In fact it's what inspired him to begin his work on the hover car." Mr Jarvis, Howard Stark's butler and I guess assistant was saying to me as he took me to Stark's office, or I should probably say lab. I read in the paper that Howard Stark was looking for a lab assistant to help him with the army's increasing need of new weapons now that we were two years into the war. I hadn't hoped for much, I was just taking a chance, but by some miracle he had asked to meet with me. "I will admit, however, that your application is somewhat deceiving. Mr. Stark and I believed you would be..."

"Male?" I suggested. "I didn't think I would stand much of chance if I mentioned that I was an 18 year old girl. Barely 18, actually."

"Fair enough." He replied as he opened a heavy tin door that opened up into a giant shed filled with expensive cars and aircrafts. Howard Stark stood in the middle of them. I had only ever seen the occasional photo of him in the paper and they weren't all that clear, but now that I saw him in person I realised he was a lot younger than I thought. He was in his early 20s, was about 15cm taller than me, had dark eyes, black hair and moustache that suited him very well. He was dressed in some of the most expensive clothing you could find, but that I was expecting. He was after all a millionaire.

"There you are Jarvis, I was growing impatient." He beamed with a handsome smile as he began his way over to us. "And who is this?" He asked once he noticed me and smiled widely.

"This is Miss Alexis Morgan, sir. You requested to see her after reading the application."

"It was your application?" He asked in disbelief.

"Yes." I promptly said, waiting to see how he would react.

"Well..." He smiled again. "I certainly didn't expect this. Of course we'll continue with the interview, but for future reference, employers don't particularly like to see lying on applications."

"I didn't lie. I left off a few details, but I didn't lie. However, for the record... in this age the only way to work your way up the metaphorical ladder is by lying."

He glanced at Jarvis with a grin before turning back to me. "I like you." He decided with another smirk as he pointed a finger at me. "The job is yours, if you want it. Of course the first few weeks will be a trial to see how you do, but if all goes well we can start talking numbers. All you have to do is say yes."

"Well I suppose it's a yes then."

That right there was the moment. The moment everything changed. The moment I met Howard Stark and without knowing agreed to a whole lot more that what I, or even he, could even imagine.

Sometimes I wish I had said no. I wish I had known what it would mean, what it would cost, but at the same time I doubt 18-year-old I would have fully understood. At any rate, there's nothing I can do now. I said yes and that's all there is to it.

Hi!!

So this is my Marvel fanfiction. There is another book, which is the sequel to this, but this book is also the prequel to the other so it doesn't matter which order you read them in.

Please comment and vote! xxx