18

"m'lady!" a familiar voice called out, drawing your attention.

"william? where's charlotte? yami? you weren't supposed to come for me—go back and ensure everyone is safe." you said, your voice edged with concern, though your expression remained composed.

after witnessing asta crash so abruptly, the kid simply grinned at you with a mischievous glint in his eye. you could feel his heartbeat quickening.

sensing ki was a skill you'd mastered long ago, and you knew how to manage it. when focusing on someone, the part of their body that moves the fastest is what you sense first. just by meeting asta's gaze, you felt his heartbeat racing in a way you'd never experienced before.

this sparked a mix of curiosity and worry within you.

asta was one of yami's most capable members. william's vice-captain had mentioned that asta played a key role in ending the elves' attack.

"you didn't really think i'd stand by while you faced danger alone, did you?" william said, walking over and placing a gentle hand on your shoulder.

his touch was warm and reassuring.

his eyebrows furrowed for a moment before he sighed and removed his cape, draping it around your shoulders. you clutched it tightly, feeling its comforting warmth.

"and you're really planning to fight in that outfit? in the dark? there's no way I'm letting you go out like this," he said, his tone firm but caring.

'he's scolding me. how adorable,' you thought, a small smile playing at your lips.

that smile faded as realization set in. "i haven't found where asta came from yet. it's too quiet, and i'm afraid that—"

william cut you off with a gentle pat on the head, a kind smile on his face. "i'll lead the way," he said, turning around and jumping onto his broom.

you stood there, hesitating. sharing a broom with william in your current attire seemed impossible.

as if reading your mind, the captain pulled out another broom from his floating grimoire and handed it to you. "you can fly a broom, right?"

obviously.

"i fly a dragon, william," you replied with a roll of your eyes as he chuckled. 

honestly, how is he so unbothered when one of his friend's knights—who is also a devil possessor—crashed into his girlfriend's ballroom, covered in wounds? and here he is, acting as if these scenarios happen every day in his life.

as you were about to mount the broom, you sensed movement behind you. you snapped your head in that direction, peering into the darkness.

"m'lady—" william's call was cut off as you raised your hand to silence him.

a few seconds of silence stretched between you.

you conjured a small ball of light and gently tapped it against the captain's back. "go and back up asta. i've got some things to finish..." you said, your gaze still fixed on the darkness.

william was about to argue, "alone—" but your tone was so sharp, even he couldn't counter it.

he found your tone unusually irksome, but something inside told him that refusing you would only lead to a pointless argument he wouldn't win.

-

after william had left, you remained rooted to the spot.

your grimoire floated beside you, mana overflowing and lighting up the night as if it were day.