Chapter 1 | Awoken

Makoto P.O.V.

"UWHA-"

I sat up on my bed, breathing quickly and heavily.

Well... Sayaka's bed.

We had swapped rooms for the night because she was worried about the safety of her own. She said she heard banging, but thankfully there's been none of that since I came in.

But still, I couldn't shake the feeling that something was wrong. Very wrong. Should I... go check in on Sayaka...? It seems weird to do that because she's most likely asleep... right?

Then why can't I get rid of the thought that if I don't go to her something terrible will happen?

That's it. I can't risk it.

I get out of the bed and open the door. My dorm where Sayaka is staying is right across from her's. I walk over and nervously grab the door handle. Why am I so worried?

Why wouldn't things be okay?

The worst scenarios enter my mind. I just shake them off and try to ignore them.

I turn the doorknob and it's... unlocked...? No, this can't be. I told her to keep it locked to stay safe. She was so scared... why wouldn't she listen?

I open the door to discover something I wasn't prepared to see.

Leon...

What..? Where is Sayaka...?

Leon appears to be fiddling with the doorknob on my bathroom with his toolkit. All of a sudden, the knob falls off.

I have no idea what's going on, but I think it's about time that I intervene. Full of fear, I confront Leon. His expression is twisted and concerning.

Makoto: "LEON! WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON...?!"

He jumps back in suprise. It was just then that I notice the knife in his hand.

Makoto: "L-leon... w-what do you plan to do with that...? Where is Sayaka?!"

Leon: "I... I..."

Suddenly, I see guilt appear on his face. I turn to the door he broke the knob off of. He was trying to break the door open. He succeded. If I was any later, I don't know what would have happened.

I push the door open. And I see...

Sayaka...

Oh my god...

She's sitting near the shower with her head down, clenching her wrist, which is bleeding. I can see tears streaming down her face. She's mumuring something to herself, which I can just barely hear.

Sayaka: "P-please... I don't w-want to die... I-I don't want to die..."

All of a sudden, it all makes sense. Leon ambushed Sayaka when she was weak. He was going to kill her. Sayaka is just a poor, defenseless victim here.

Well, I'm not going to let him go through with this. Angrily, I turn back and punch him in the face. Shocked, Leon falls over.

Sayaka: "M... Makoto...?"

Sayaka says this weakly, looking over at me.

Makoto: "Sayaka! Oh my god... are you alright..?!"

Sayaka: "Mostly... I-I think... I'm just quite shaken... my wrist really hurts..."

I quickly examine her wrist.

Makoto: "Sayaka... this looks broken. I know a small bit about treating broken bones but..."