FORTY SEVEN

━━ ☆ ★ ☆ ━━
INN
━━ ☆ ★ ☆ ━━

Atlanta sat beside Topper and Campbell at the Island Inn. She had promised him that she would come and meet him with her brother and Campbell. Unfortunately, Topper thought that meant that he was also able to invite people, which is the reason he invited Peyton and Kelce.

"At least John B got what was coming to him." Peyton spoke up, making Atlanta look towards the girl. "and it saved them the expense of a trial."

Campbell placed his hand over Atlanta's, noticing the way her eyes glazed over with tears. He looked around for JJ, who he knew was working. Campbell had managed to pull a few strings and get him a job at the Island Inn, since his last job fell through due to him not turning up.

JJ noticed the way that Campbell frantically was looking around for him, so he made his way over to Atlanta's table. He placed a comforting hand on her shoulder and leant down to press his lips against the top of her head. He didn't know what they were talking about, but he assumed it was something about Peterkin, since that's all everyone in OBX talked about now.

"I'm just saying, John B's going to hell for what he did to Sheriff Peterkin." Peyton shrugged, her face scrunching up in disgust as she watched the interaction between JJ and Atalanta.

"Guys they're still investigating." Topper spoke up as JJ poured him a new glass of water. He knew that John B was Atlanta and JJ's friend. He had lost Atlanta once, he wasn't about to do it again, which is the only reason he stuck up for John B.

"Yeah, I don't know why. It's obvious who did it." Peyton shrugged dismissively.

"You don't know anything, so keep your mouth shut." Atlanta snapped, making Barnaby look towards his sister concerned.

The brunette let go of a shaky breath, tilting her head back to look at JJ, she liked knowing that he was close by. She liked having him by her side.

"Shut up." JJ snapped, pointing towards Peyton, only for Topper to try and say something. But JJ didn't give him a chance. "Shut up, Top."

"JJ, just walk away. It's not the time." Topper tried to remain calm, he didn't want a scene to be caused in front of everyone.

Atlanta grabbed JJ's hand, her thumb running over his knuckles soothingly. She understood that he was upset. That he was angry. So was she. But JJ lost his brother that day and now all he is hearing is that John B is a murderer.

"I don't think we were talking to you, Pogue." Kelce turned to look at JJ.

Campbell clenched his jaw at the name that Kelce had added on. It was almost as if he was using it as an insult and that angered him.

"I think you should shut up now." Campbell spoke slowly and calmly. There was no reason to cause a scene. But he wasn't going to let Kelce think that he had one up on anyone just because he had money.

JJ grabbed Topper's water and a fork as he began to clank the two together, gaining everyone's attention. Atlanta stiffened slightly, wondering what the boy was going to do.

"Can I have everybody's attention, please?" JJ shouted. "I have a little announcement to make."

Campbell slowly stood up from his seat, ready to get JJ out of the situation as fast as possible incase it went south. He was fond of JJ, he'd protect him without even thinking twice.

"My best friend, John B, did not kill Sheriff Peterkin." There was a long pause, which made Atlanta turn and face JJ, she shook her head, this wasn't the right way to announce this.

JJ looked towards Atlanta sympathetically. He knew that this isn't what she wanted. But he was so angry, he was just acting upon his anger and impulse.

"Rafe Cameron killed and shot the sheriff in cold blood. That's what happened."

"Wow." Kelce scoffed once JJ had finished his announcement.

Atlanta slowly stood up to make her way beside JJ, her hand linked with his and her other hand wrapped around his bicep, trying to pull him away from the situation.

"Is that so hard for you to believe, Kelce?" JJ questioned after hearing the boy scoff.

"It is actually hard for me to believe," Kelce slowly stood up and Campbell didn't hesitate on standing in front of JJ and Atlanta. "because it's always the kooks fault. It's never the pogues fault."

Campbell pushed Kelce back once he was getting too close, causing Barnaby to stand up and move away from the situation. He needed to get them all out of their before it lost control.

JJ grabbed the water and poured it over Kelce, making Atlanta unlink her arm from JJ and cover her mouth in shock. She bit down on her lip to prevent herself from laughing.

Kelce instantly lunged at JJ, Barnaby grabbed Atlanta and pulled her away as Campbell and Topper pulled Kelce and JJ away from one another.

"JJ!" Raz shouted, gaining JJ's attention.

JJ lowered his head almost guilty as he pulled off his apron. He knew that this meant. He had lost another job because he couldn't control himself. Only this time, he felt even guiltier because it was Campbell who got him this job.

"Yeah I know, Raz. I'm fired." He shoved the apron into Raz's chest.

"I'm going to go after him." Atlanta announced as she rushed after JJ. "JJ." The girl placed her hand on his bicep as she noticed the way that he was clutching his heart. "Deep breath." She whispered gently, causing JJ to take a deep breath.

"Ride safe back to the cut, Buddy." Raz shouted as he watched JJ and Atlanta walk towards JJ's motorbike.

Atlanta's father was always disapproving of her riding on the back of it, which is why she had began to do it more often. JJ grabbed his helmet and placed it over her head, clipping it in.

"We'll find you a new job, okay?" Atlanta whispered, making JJ nod in agreement, although he wasn't convinced.

He leant down and connected their lips momentarily. He was thankful that she was there and coming with him. He didn't know how he would've gotten through the past few weeks without her.

JJ climbed on the bike, Atlanta following in suit and wrapping her arms around his torso tightly. She pressed her lips against his shoulders and noticed the way he almost instantly relaxed.

"That's right JJ, get the hell outta here." Raz continued to shout, so Atlanta turned around and flipped him off.

The blonde boy purposefully ran over the flowers and revved his engine until the flowers were destroyed before riding off, Atlanta flipped Raz off one last time before he became a distant view.

Campbell turned to Raz, his jaw was clenched. He slowly walked over to the man. He hated that he was mocking JJ, that he was making him feel worse.

"You should give him his job back." Campbell spoke up.

"Are you fucking stupid?" Raz questioned with raised brows, for a split second he forgot that he was speaking to Campbell Dawn.

Angered, Campbell grabbed the man's shirt and pinned him against the wall, lifting him up slightly. He saw the fear in Raz's eyes.

"You best start speaking to me with some sort of respect." Campbell seethed.

"I'm sorry, Mr Dawn, I'll see what I can do." Raz panicked, nobody ever wanted to be on the wrong side of Campbell.

"That's more like it." Campbell dropped Raz, allowing him to fall to the ground. "Let's go, B."