Prologue

It stops. The eerie creep of the night reigns over us as we sit, terrified and trembling. The only thing I can hear is it's grunting as it looks for us.

"N-nicholas?" I whisper, going to look in his direction. 

He wasn't there.

My breath hitches in my throat, my gaze running through the forest, through every tree, bush, and overly grown patch of grass. The wind picks up, leaves rustling behind me, and I turn in hopes of seeing my partner. 

Eyes stare at me through the dark of the leaves, its color the most menacing of yellow glowing abnormally toward me. Not Nicholas. Heated air breathes over me as it groans. I can't see its face or skin, and I'm still not sure if it's human.

Until I hear a voice.  

"Człowiek... lekarz... lekarz boli... nienawidzę lekarza!!" It growls, its voice deep and most gravelled. But it wasn't German. 

It huffs. It's eyes squint at me, my eyes adjusted enough to see the scowl on its multicolored lips. Then it growls again. It roars. And I run. My feet carry me off before my mind can catch up. I run away from the beast, listening to it angrily toss branches out of his way. I glance behind me, watching him step over trees that weren’t on the ground a second ago.

Nick... Nick! I have to find him! "Nick!" I shout, too late to gain the beast's attention. "Nicholas!" 

It's breaths get ever closer, the thump of its feet against the ground, my heart beating in my ears.

That, and another set of footsteps in front of me, a shadow over to the left about to run into me.

I change my pace, turning so that whatever it is doesn't catch me. But something catches on my foot and I immediately tumble flat on my face. Dirt and grass poke at me and stick to my face, my head lifting to watch for the two shadowy beasts. I heave for the breath that I lost from the fall.

I'm done for. Feet pound their way over to me. I'm barely able to roll off my arm before the footsteps stop pounding right next to me.