Chapter 1

It was 10 am. Valkyrie Cain looked around. She still felt sleepy and decided to sleep one more hour but then her phone rang.

"Hello?" She said

"Valkyrie I will be right there in 5 minutes." A man said. She nodded and went downstairs. It was Tuesday so her parents were working. Valkyrie's reflection went to school and her sister was at kindergarten. Lately her reflection has changed. It started having emotions and sometimes even it putted its opinion. But Valkyrie couldn't think about it now. She opened the front door and waited for the man to come. A minute later she saw a walking skeleton with hat in his hands.

"Skulduggery." Valkyrie said.

"Valkyrie." Skulduggery said. She giggled.

"I hope you are ready for tonight. You bought a dress, right?"

"Don't worry about it. I will look gorgeous." Valkyrie laughed. "However not as gorgeous as China."

"No one can defeat her in that." Skulduggery admitted. I heard she made Tanith wear a dress."

"She did? How is Tanith these days?" Valkyrie asked.

"She still doesn't want us to cure her but however I heard she got engaged for Sanguine."

"Haha she did?" The girl sounded surprise. "How is Ghastly?"

"He is...holding." Skulduggery said.

"And how are you?" Valkyrie looked at him.

"I am fine. What about you? How was your family vacation?" During the summer, the seventeenth old girl went on a vacation with her family. They came back yesterday.

"It was lovely. What color is your tie?" Valkyrie asked.

"Why are you asking me this?" Skulduggery replied.

"Because my dress is blue and I thought you can wear that blue tie of yours. You know, we can match since we are duo." Valkyrie smirked.

"First, we are a team not duo. Second, why of course. I just have to ask you something. Do you mind if Fletcher comes with his girlfriend?" Skulduggery asked concerned. Valkyrie remembered her last meeting with Fletcher. She shook her head no. They were just friends.

"How is the reflection?" The skeleton said.

"She is great." Valkyrie lied. She decided that the reflection is a problem she can't think about now. "Is there anything new?"

"Yes, I heard the abliviouss got attacked last night." Skulduggery went to the kitchen and came back with a bottle of water. Valkyrie looked at him suspicious.

"What? I got thirsty." He said in offense.

"You don't get thirsty, Skul. You are dead. Are you ok?" She asked.

"Why wouldn't I be Valkyrie? Even dead need hydration."

Valkyrie glared at him but continued, "Who attacked them? I mean what is so special about them."

"Rumour has it. The Necromancers think Monster Hunters did it. I hardly believe it." Skulduggery said.

"Yeah me too. Anyway I have to get ready for tonight. See you later at 5 pm?" She said.

"Of course. Don't forget about the ball. At your house."

"I will not." Vakyrie said. Skulduggery stand up and left. Valkyrie was now alone and had to get ready.