1

She was a happy woman.

A comfortable home, luxurious jewelry and clothing, even a small Ragdoll kitten to keep her company. She didn't need a man, she had struck fortune all on her own so she had no reason to put an end to her loneliness.

Claudette Octavius, the richest woman in Hampton Falls, New Hampshire. She was respected as a kind woman to her community. She used her wealth for the better, giving to the needy whenever she had the opportunity. She had no family, no friends, only a community who respected her. Oh, and her kitten Bastet, of course. That's all she ever really wanted.

Until one night, it called to her.

A necklace, a gift from some lovestruck stranger, had woken her up. No noise or movement came from this necklace, only the feeling that unsettled Claudette greatly. The necklace was made from pure gold, and a pink dragon's eye on the pendant. Obviously, the eye was plastic, but beautiful nonetheless.

It had beckoned her from her bed, to her dresser. The odd urge began to overtake her mind, to put the necklace on. Slowly, she reached for the golden chain, gently wrapping her fingers around the delicate metal. She had pulled the necklace into her hands, examining it carefully.

Her bright green eyes, so bright it's as if they were glowing in the dark bedroom, scanned from the chain, to the pendant, to the eye. The eye was so calmly hypnotic, calling to her, "Be prideful of me. Wear me, I'll give you so much more than you could ever imagine." She stared into the eye with her own eyes, beginning to give in to temptation.

With fingers as gentle as butterfly wings, she unclipped the golden chain, wrapping it around her neck and clipping the chain back on. A feeling of euphoria came over her. It was like a drug, the entire room lighting up around her.

With the incredible feeling came. . . different thoughts. Thoughts that the one and only Claudette Octavius would never even dream of having.

What would happen if I jumped off of the balcony? What would it feel like?

I wonder what poison tastes like, how it would feel going down my throat.

What if I just. . . drink my perfume? Would it kill me?

I want to hurt something. Somebody.

The feeling of euphoria subsided, quickly replaced by a violent, unloving feeling. No remorse, no worry, just the need to cause another living thing pain and slow death. Her eyes shone in the dark, no longer bright and happy. Now, they were almost angry, brighter from the dark shadow cast on her face from hunching over the dresser.

The pendant had taken control.