Part Three: The Contract

"Well then, Lucas, do you want to make a contract with me?"

Lucas stared at the dark shape that was Alice. "I do."

"Alright. Declare it as you cut yourself and allow your blood to drip inside the circle of candles. The blood of the contractor is the final requirement for making a contract."

Lucas took the knife from the table behind him and stepped closer to the candles. He took a deep breath and touched the blade to his right palm. Closing his eyes, he dragged the blade down.

"Alice, make a contract with me. Please be my familiar," Lucas stated in a deep voice. He thrust his arm out and let his blood drip onto the floor inside the circle of candles.

Alice's heart thumped in her chest as happiness coursed throughout her body. A gust of wind blew out all the candles and darkness swallowed the room. Lucas dropped the bloodstained knife and covered his face.

"Alice? Alice?" Lucas called once the wind hushed, looking around, trying to see through the darkness.

Because Alice's appearance was merely a shadow, the spirit with whom he had made a contract vanished from his sight.

But Alice was right behind him, and she was no longer a shadow. She was able to reveal her true appearance after a contract was signed.

Cursing, Lucas scampered toward the door and pressed the light switch on the wall. Alice was holding back her laughter as she watched the man panic. She picked up the knife from the floor and licked the blade, tasting the sweet blood of the half-beast. Despite the darkness, she was able to see clearly. As a demon, her senses were beyond human limits.

The ceiling light lit up and illuminated the room. When Lucas saw her, he gasped.

Alice dropped the knife. "Oops, sorry. I'm just curious how half-beast tastes. And . . . as your familiar, I'd like to know what my master's taste is."

But Lucas's response was unrelated to what she had said.

"Y-you're a human!"

Alice gave him a stern look.

"And you're young! And . . . and beautiful," Lucas murmured and averted his eyes, his cheeks flushing.

Alice frowned. "Don't underestimate me because of my appearance, young man. If I'm not mistaken, you're in your early twenties, so I'm older than you. Way older than I appear. So, even if I'm just your familiar, I don't want you to disrespect me. I'm a demon who ought to be honored."

Lucas gave a rueful smile. "I'm sorry. So . . . the contract was successful?"

Alice grinned. "Yes, master. So, starting today, all of your wishes are my command."